cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fiber optic internet always disconnects

mikeymyke
Neighbour

2 weeks ago, I switched over from Shaw and went to Telus for their TV & internet.  I have fiber optic service direct to my home, 25Mbps internet.  Previously, I had Shaw 50Mbps internet through coax.  

I don't understand why even though I have my own dedicated fiber optic line, the wireless connection frequently disconnects.  The wireless adapter I have is a brand new DLink model from this year.  Also, there are times where I ran speedtest and it would sometimes show 0.50Mbps download, instead of 25Mbps, its sometimes below 10Mbps.  What gives?  I thought fiber optic was the latest technology and so why are my speeds so low?  There are no other users on the wifi network, I'm not recording any TV shows on the PVRs, I'm just living on my own, no downloading or streaming.

I kind of regret it now, because its past 10 days, and I cannot cancel my service since I also bundled with TV.  Shaw might be slow during peak hours, but at least it was more reliable, less disconnects.  Telus internet might be fast at times, but it has too many disconnects for me.

So any fixes here?

11 REPLIES 11

nasty
Rockstar

And check for other Wifi networks being on the same channel causing interference to your signal.

InSSIDer version 3 free

http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/inssider.html

The Actiontec gateways do have problems with Wifi signals and Telus doesn't quite guarantee speeds on wifi due to it being wireless. Only doing speedtests while using ethernet is accepted as a proper speedtest

......This section guessed that you meant Dlink wireless router........

So, not using the Actiontec(it runs as a router on fibre), even though you have Optik TV?

If using a customer owned router and running Telus Optik TV through it, you need to be aware of multicast floods. They will overload your wireless causing it to drop out.

IGMP filtering

https://encrypted.google.com/#q=igmp+filter+multicast+dlink

The other method if you can''t figure out multicast is to put a switch at the fiber optic terminal modem(ONT) and split your Internet and TV to their own routers. You then will have two different Telus public IP address.

Thanks for the reply

My home has two Cat 6 wires connected to old main Shaw modem in the basement.  These wires run to my bedroom and the living room.  My computer is in a room next to the bedroom.  Is it possible to go in the basement, connect the Cat 6 wire that's connected to the bedroom, to the ethernet port of the Fibre optic modem, and then go to the bedroom, and run a Cat 6 wire from there to the computer in my office?

I think part of the reason for the disconnects maybe using wireless not wired

Yep. Plug your ethernet into the Actiontec LAN port and there you go.

If it works, I will love you forever, thanks.  I'll keep you posted.

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

@mikeymyke wrote:

I don't understand why even though I have my own dedicated fiber optic line, the wireless connection frequently disconnects.  The wireless adapter I have is a brand new DLink model from this year.  Also, there are times where I ran speedtest and it would sometimes show 0.50Mbps download, instead of 25Mbps, its sometimes below 10Mbps.  What gives?

To clarify..

• are these speeds in the same room?
  • how far are you from the router?
  • are you line of sight?  Are there many walls/floors between you and the router?

Ugh its happening again, even right now....

These speeds are in my office, which is on the 2nd floor.  The router is in the basement.  It might seem like a large distance, but the wireless signal I'm getting is 5 bars out of 5.  When the internet is active, its' very fast.  I get 25Mbps consistently on Speedtest.org.  It sucks because all these issues seem to be happening just after the 10 days grace period in which I'm allowed to cancel my service with no penalty.  

I'd be willing to suck it up and pay the penalty if it means having a consistent internet connection, despite slowdowns during peak hours.  But I'll give Telus another chance, by running a Cat 6 cable from the Cat 6 jack in my bedroom to my computer. This is a direct internet connection.  It sucks becuase I have to tuck the wire in the corner against the baseboards/carpet while running the cable from one room to the other.

I thought about getting a free wireless signal booster from Telus (they offered me one if I wasn't happy with the speed), but I thought that won't help because its the internet source itself that keeps shutting down, not the signal strength.

Also, these internet disconnects seem to be happening during peak use hours, but it shouldn't be an issue because I get my own line.   😞

Well that sucks. You'd now have to call in to Telus support and their fibre team.  They can trouble shoot why the Fibre is having primetime slowdowns.  That should not happen unless Telus violated their own rules and oversold the area.

Another test you can run to be sure the Actiontec is not the problem, is to plug your cat6(connected to your computer upstairs) direct into the ONT. Same spot the Actiontec was plugged into. Be sure to have a software firewall running on your computer(bare minimum, Windows firewall).

Provided you TV is not needed during the test. I guess it's not having problems with signal? It is QOS controlled separate from the Internet signal.

Be sure to also have changed the Telus Gateway wifi password/key from its default.  Same with access login password.  WPA2 should be the wifi security.   Turn of WPS.  That would be if somehow a neighbor got in and is messing about.

Your Telus online account has a data use chart in the Internet section, to be able to check your daily usage(if you know what your daily usage is).  It's not within 12-24 hours and may be 3-7 days behind the current date.

I'm going to head off to the store now and buy the cables, I realize I have to terminate the Cat 5e cables from the basment, into those RJ45 plugs, and then plug that into the ONT.  Sorry they're actually Cat 5e, not Cat 6 cables, my bad.  Don't know if that's a big deal. 

I'll plug it into the ONT as suggested.

The store didn't have a cat 5e crimper, so I have to order one online 😞

Anyway, I did a reset of the Actiontec, a factory reset, it seemed to help a bit, I'll see how it goes from here until the crimper arrives.  However, my PVR wont rewind because it says too many tvs are recording shows.  I think this is because of me resetting the Actiontec.  How to fix this?  

EDIT:  Tried resetting PVR, now says "Rewind temporarily unavailable"

The best thing I ever did was ditch the Actiontec and use my own router with the Fibre service.  It's fast, really fast!

Glad to hear it worked out better for you. Just keep in mind, that TELUS cannot always guarantee this will work perfectly using a third party device. And for the most part you will need to utilize the community, online resources and forums for assistance.