Fiber network switch

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Kev12345
Connector

Can the fiber network switch be used as the router? I currently have fiber coming in from the street to our smart panel in the basement (where all the CAT5e's end up). Telus installed the fiber switch in there as well as the wifi router. obviously having the wifi router inside a smart panel (which is inside a closet) down in the basement is a horrible wifi location. id like to have the wifi router on the main floor.

Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, you can move the Telus supplied router to a more central location in your house - you just have to run a length of Ethernet cable between the two locations. You can find termination kits at your local hardware chain store.

You can also add an Access Point in a more central location in your house instead of moving the router.

My ONT (Optical Network Terminal) is in the crawl space, and the router / gateway is in my computer room. From there, Ethernet cable runs to the PVR in the living room, and another Ethernet cable to a switch with various other devices connected.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Kev12345
Connector

i know i can move the wifi router. i want to know if i can use the fiber switch as the router... i already tried moving the router to a cental location in the house but then all the cat5e's in the smart panel become disconnected from the network. 

Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, you can't use the ONT as a router. Your best choice becomes to leave the Actiontec where it is, and place an inexpensive Access Point at a central location in your home to provide Wi-Fi and a point to attach other local Ethernet devices.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A family member found a D-Link DIR-605L Cloud Router a suitable and inexpensive choice.

NFtoBC