cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fed up with Telus

TiredofTelus
Neighbour

I've had issues with my home internet. It started off sporadic, called in, had someone come install an extender on the main floor. At that time I was told if I have more issues, there's nothing Telus will be able to do (??)

Fast forward a couple years later. Yes, still had issues but not as bad, Until a couple months ago. It keeps cutting in and out, to the point where this morning I got a text saying I used all my data on my phone. Not impressed one bit. I have tried to call in before, only to sit on hold for 30 minutes or more. Today I spent over an hour on hold, 2 different calls, ended up hanging up, have better things to do with my time. Tried the telus chat, got a message saying I"m 11th in cue. So what, sit around and wait another hour before I finally get to talk to someone?? No thanks.

I am absolutely fed up. I pay a small fortune for my home services, I expect them to work properly, and I expect to not have to spend an inordinate amount of time on hold when I have an issue. Now I'm out of data on my cell phone because of this BS and not impressed at all. I will try calling in first thing tomorrow morning and either they fix it, credit me for my cell overages and for the headache of the wifi cutting in and out, or I'm done with telus (as is, going to change them as my cell provider once my contract is up, after over 15 years with them!)

Anyone else having these issues?

8 REPLIES 8

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@TiredofTelus  Judging from your post if you're using an extender you have some older Telus equipment in your house.  You could very well be experiencing a line issue, hardware failure, overheating of the modem the extender or both. (I had an issue with my extender removed it and purchased my own router, has been perfect ever since).

A simple equipment replacement is all you may need (if the technician can locate the issue) Telus now offers an all in one solution the T3200M all in one modem/router with better range and features. Or you can put it into Bridge mode and then purchase a router of your choice. There are many solutions to get wired/wireless solutions to the dead spot of your home. Not sure of the layout of your house the positioning of the equipment etc so maybe you can elaborate a bit more.

As for support, reach out to them early in the morning before 9am PST. After that calls can quickly backlog, or use the online chat feature.

I called this morning, they told me they had to trouble shoot over the phone, but I was at work. Said if they sent a tech before the troubleshooting, that I'd be charged a fee. Was not impressed, was on hold over an hour yesterday and ended up hanging up, and I'm betting if I call when I get home, around 5, then I'll be on hold forever.

My issue is I should not have to go buy my own equpiment. I pay like almost $180/month for my tv and internet, which I think is atrocious, they can at least supply proper equipment. I live in a 4 level split. The router is at the back door in the breaker panel area. I can be sitting in the back yard, 20 feet away, and have my internet cut in and out on occasion. The extender is on the main floor (second level) and while I can get wifi parked in front of my house, it cuts in and out if I'm in my bedroom upstairs, maybe 40-50 feet away (it's a small house). Interestingly enough, the wifi is fine all the way down in the basement (at least that's what the roommate tells me).

I ended up hanging up on the tech this morning, I was so angry. Not only did I waste time on hold yesterday, now I'm being told that I have to trouble shoot from home when I know there is an issue, plus the fact that I've used all the data on my phone, something I've never done, and telus mobility wants me to pay more to 'top up' my data to last me to the next billing cycle. All crooks. Unfortunately I"m stuck in my contract with my home services until the end of July otherwise I'd cancel it all and go elsewhere.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@TiredofTelus wrote:

Now I'm out of data on my cell phone 

Is Wi-Fi Assist turned on on your iPhone? If so, it may switch, even if your Wi-Fi is working, but has dropped low enough in signal strength to switch to cellular data. you can prevent this by turning it off in Settings > Cellular, and scrolling to the bottom.

@TiredofTelus wrote:

Anyone else having these issues?

No. Careful placement of wireless access points, and a review of the channels used by neighbours allows me mostly uninterrupted Wi-Fi use. I have also hardwired every device I could, to bypass Wi-Fi hurdles.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

I don't have an iphone, I have an android.
I can be on wifi anywhere else and have zero issues. Kids house, friends house, etc, not once do i bounce from wifi to LTE or 4G like I do at home. I can view my usage on a graph on my phone and since March 23, it has steadily climbed.  I have never, ever used all the data on my phone so I know there's an issue because I'm not using my phone any more than I normally do.

Router is placed on the 3rd level (of a 4 level split) by the back door, extender is placed on 2nd level  (main level of house) and is by the front door/middle of front room. I can sit at my kitchen table like 15 feet away from the extender and watch it bounce from wifi to data. I see no reason I need to troubleshoot over the phone before they send a tech. Not to mention this is messing with my house alarm too (the app on my phone at least, if wifi is out, I can't access my cameras at home).

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You need to be home to trouble shoot the problem, as they will ask you do specific steps with the devices for certain confirmations. Without that, they are sending a tech to complete those tasks (and you still have to be home). 

It is interesting your roommate is not seeing the problem, and it works from your driveway. Makes me wonder if there is something structural about your house (stucco wire, in-floor heating, etc.) causing a problem.  You might try using a Wi-Fi analyzer on your phone to check signal strength in different locations around your house.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Valerie33
Just Moved In
I feel your pain!!
We have be Telus customers for 28 years!
I am beyond fed up! I have been experiencing this same problem for the last five years. This year has been really bad. My internet keeps dropping and then my cell phone goes onto data and we have had outrageous cell phone bills! We have tried everything , new optic line was sap issued to help but it’s still doing the same thing only now we loose everything , home phone , tv and internet. Hours and hours spent on the phone only to get bumped to Simone in a different county then they bump you to yet someone else in another country that you have to explain it all again to only to have them try to sell you a different tv under! Duh! I don’t even have tv right now! It’s so frustrating ! Just happened again today , then came back on for couple hours only to go off yet again!
I have never seen such horrible service with Telus

As others have said, it sounds like interference, and that interference may be impossible to find, unless the interference connection is easy to make.

Way back in the day, whenever my dad started his car in the covered carport, our TV signal cut-out. When cordless phones first appeared, we had so much obvious interference from so many things, I figured the tech would never take-off. Cat LOL Now, when I power on my vacuum, my TV signal deteriorates, and can take an hour or more to correct once the vacuum is off.

But often, the interference culprit isn't obvious, or even in your own place. Building materials can be at fault for WiFi trouble. Concrete, especially concrete with metal reinforcements, can be death to WiFi. Cordless phones, microwaves, baby monitors, garage door openers, etc, when being used in a neighbor's house or suite, can cause interference for you. Too often it's impossible to remedy. Telus tech certainly can't do it; beyond making sure nothing physical is wrong, they can't help.

dru
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Valerie33 Sorry to hear about the unresolved issue. We hear your frustrations and want to make it right. Our wonderful social media is always at the ready to help. If you have a Facebook or Twitter profile, send a message our way on the platform of your choosing and we'll get this sorted out for you:

Facebook

Twitter