cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excessive Internet Data Usage

courierdog
Organizer

Beginning in January 2017 I receive a email from Telus indicating I am using Excessive Data Usage

We do not use Streaming services such as netflix

We do not use Streaming services such as Music

Yet since January we have been noticing a steady rise in our Internet Data Usage

I have used PeakHour, Little Snitch and iNet Network Scanner to discover any abnormal behaviour within our home network  to no avail

I have called repeatedly to Telus for assistance.

Telus has looked at our service

Telus has replaced our Modem Router

I have turned off the Telus WiFi Service

Still the Excessive Data Usage Persists 

January 1036 GB

February 660 GB

March at this point is 1208 GB

Does anyone else have a similar issue and how did you correct the situation

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Finally on June 04, 2017 I think I found the problem.

What I found was applications which are not native to the computer. These applications had identical upload and download bandwidth. In addition this computer had an unsecured WiFi port. It would appear the default setting is the WiFi is enabled but does not have a password.

Once the WiFi was disabled the excess data usage has appeared to have ceased.

June 04, 2017 Data Usage was 40 GB for the day.

Since this WiFi has been disabled the overall Data Usage has returned to the historical norms.

I will continue to monitor for exceptions.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you'd not said you have turned off Wi-Fi, I would have guessed someone was siphoning your Wi-Fi.

I wonder if you have a rogue app on one of your devices consuming data. Check your Task Manager to see if any apps are consuming CPU cycles, or if network volumes are high on each computer, run a virus scan, and  check the router logs to see if anything seems unusual. You may find little info in the router logs, as they often tend not to indicate which device is consuming data.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

In an answer to your suggestion.

I use Little Snitch to follow each and every application and Device connected to my network

I use PeakHour 3 to monitor Over all Data usage through the Telus Modem

I use iNet Network Scanner to verify every device connected on my network

My Tallies of Data Usage agree with my previous Data Usage one the past 5 years

The Telus Data Usage Allegations are not even close to representing my actual Data Usage

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Then I'd suggest going back to Telus AGAIN with the information you have gathered. It might be possible that the tally Telus is using is from another account, if there is a crossover at a switch somewhere.

I have found that keeping to the high road when interacting with the CSR or Tech gets positive results. You might ask if they have a means to measure packets at your end, rather than theirs, by placing a device at your home.

BTW, my volumes have not changed over the past years, so your experience may be somewhat unique.  Have you changed your service from copper to Fibre by any chance, or upgraded your speed?

NFtoBC

I have explained all my steps to my CSR

My home data usage over the past 5 years has never exceed 200 GB per billing cycle and even that was suspect as I rarely exceed 100GB in a billing cycle

All my friends who also have Optik TV do not have a clue as to my excessive Data Usage

I do live in one of the oldest areas in this section of the city.

Telus has had to sort out many issues with the internet service, the last, I hope was a bridge tap which slowed down my Internet to a nominal 5Mbps download

This latest go around with the Data Usage is extremely frustrating.

While Telus seems to be doing they can from a customer service stand point I really wonder if there is something else across the line that has now  begun to affect the data usage we are being charged for.

While I know there are hardware devices which can be place across a line which can monitor everything coming in and everything going out.

That determine each and every device on the line (Network) determine the application being used and determine what if any data is being used.

With My recent experience and brief discussions with others I have discovered, this in no longer a few isolated cases. While Telus wants us to believe we are the single exception, unfortunately I am not alone, but getting to the right person who may have the answers is going to prove to be a problem.

While there are a couple of scenarios  

a  this is a software glitch in the monitoring system

b  this is theft of communications 

The latter cannot be dismissed as it opens to many other doors for questions

The former is more likely but problematic to locate, especially if as they want me to believe I am the only one experiencing the problem, which I am not. I still have friends on the inside of Telus.

The biggest problem is each and every piece of the Telus Hardware is operated by Software which is written by non Telus people.

Not all hardware has a truly user friendly interface, not all hardware responds to the identical command set.

All the higher level hardware is now optical based while older sections like where I live may have had Alexander G Bell or a relative wire and install portion of the network involving my section of the city, and it is not about to be replaced  anytime soon.

Yesterday my alleged data usage was 1208 GB

Today my alleged data usage is 1407 GB

It is so extremely frustrating to sort out when there has been no obvious equipment or software change to point at to accuse of creating the issue. There is not internet version of Advil to alleviate the pain.

@courierdog wrote:

Yesterday my alleged data usage was 1208 GB

Today my alleged data usage is 1407 GB

It is so extremely frustrating to sort out when there has been no obvious equipment or software change to point at to accuse of creating the issue. There is not internet version of Advil to alleviate the pain.

If you have the ability to measure your daily consumption.  I recommend going cold turkey.  Don't use your computer for one calendar day (unplug it).  Then on the next day, check the data measurements.  With no wifi and no computer.... consumption should be zero.  At least no where near one gigabyte.

To clarify.... do you live alone?  Do you have children or someone else that could be using the internet?

Here is the Cold Turkey dilemma

We also have Optik TV which Telus assures us is not included in the Data Usage.

If I power down the Telus Modem then I will have one very unhappy wife when I go to bed at 1930 and she stay up watching TV until 2200-2300

I get up at 0330 every morning Monday-Friday

We did try this at the beginning in February and the data continued to climb.

Telus then sent in a Tech to check our line from the Central Office to my premise and also replace my existing modem with the latest and greatest.

Telus reviewed my total plan, provided a better plan for less.

Telus granted first one month of Unlimited Data

After the second incident Telus Extended the unlimited data to 6 months

After the Third reported incident Telus extended the unlimited data to 12 months.

I have written my MP, the Minster in charge of the CRTC, the Minister in charge of Industry Canada as this is a Federally Regulated issue.

To clarify.... Cold turkey the computer. Leave Optik running for the day.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The users here are trying to be of assistance but you have provided few details other than your usage so far. Also do everything possible to ensure it's not something on your end as well. Most cases when high bandwidth usage appears, it's something at home causing high bandwidth usage.

If you are looking for assistance, please provide more detailed information on your in home setup and what has been done so far to try remedy the situation.

To recap:

1. You have at least one Mac.
  2. We know there are at least 2 users in the house (you, your wife)
  3. The modem was swapped out so we know it's not that.
  4. The line from the CO has been checked and is fine.

Questions:

1. Do you run any kind of anti-virus/malware software on your Mac or other devices?
  2. Do you have anything running Windows 10?
  3. Do you shut off your computers / devices when not in use or just put them to sleep?
  4. What has technical support said so far (be detailed and specific)
  5. Do you have your own router connected to the Telus gateway? If yes, which wireless network are you using?
  6. How many devices do you have in the home and what are they running?
  7. How are they all connected?
  8. Please provide information you have obtained from tools you are using on your Mac to monitor traffic on the whole network and not just on the one device.
  9. When you log in to the gateway, are there any devices listed there that shouldn't be or ones you do not recognize?
  10. Is anyone running torrents?

------------

There is also a specific complaint process you must follow and those politicians are not part of it. If Telus is still working on it to ensure it's not an issue on their end, give them time. Especially if they gave you better internet for lower cost and free unlimited. Filing a complaint with CCTS would be the second step. Politicians are quite useless and in this instance won't be able to do anything. Neither will the CRTC. Home phone service is tightly regulated. Internet? Not even close.

Now the issue you are experiencing isn't one of the standard ones the CCTS deals with but you can still submit the issue for their review to see if it's something they are able to deal with.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

@Nighthawk wrote:

Questions:

1. Do you run any kind of anti-virus/malware software on your Mac or other devices?
  2. Do you have anything running Windows 10?
  3. Do you shut off your computers / devices when not in use or just put them to sleep?
  4. What has technical support said so far (be detailed and specific)
  5. Do you have your own router connected to the Telus gateway? If yes, which wireless network are you using?
  6. How many devices do you have in the home and what are they running?
  7. How are they all connected?
  8. Please provide information you have obtained from tools you are using on your Mac to monitor traffic on the whole network and not just on the one device.
  9. When you log in to the gateway, are there any devices listed there that shouldn't be or ones you do not recognize?
  10. Is anyone running torrents?

1. Malware Bytes

2.  ZERO Windows of any kind!

3. Computers One MacBook Pro, One iMac are put to sleep only

4..Technical support cannot find any thing on my network or in the Telus side side of the line

5.  The only router is the Telus Router, I then have a Multi Port Switch 
     The Optik TV is fed directly from the Router to the Optik TV PVR

All other ethernet connections are fed from the switch to each individual Divice

There is one Airport Wireless Port in the living room which has zero activity except for the iPhone(s) when syncing, Apple Watch(s)

6. Entirely Mac OS, IOS, Apple TV OS, This is the interesting one as the CSR was reading down their observed Data Usages and Up Came the Apple TV, I looked over and there was no light on and the AC cord dangling from it, hmmm That is interesting, you are saying the Apple TV is using vast amounts of Data, CSR yes. Me, If I tell you the Apple TV is disconnected from the AC and it is still drawing Data can you explain its power source.

7.  All devices are connected to the network via ethernet cables, with the exception of the iPhones and the Apple Watches

8.  Little Snitch looks at each application and monitors the data used and where it connects and terminates

PeakHour 3 Monitors the Data Usage of the Telus Modem

iNet Network Scanner Identifies each and every device attached to the network

9.  No device found that is not on the  iNet Network Scanner Identified Discovered Valid List.

10.  Zero Torrent Activity.

Have I missed anything??

CptTrips
Just Moved In
I have done this (unplugged) and reported it to Telus. Unfortunately because the data info onlone changes daily, there is no "proof" of what the data usage was yesterday, vs. today. Also unfortunate, when you call telus, you are usually stuck with some low level, call centre intern who has little to no training in how telus products acyltually function and less than that to how to resolve the problem. I've had my router changed three times and had telus field techs out five times to tell me there is indeed crossover into my building, but they can't figure it out without a work order and telus won't bother to actually generate one. I've changed my password repeatedly, only to have it reset randomly and I've UNPLUGGED MY ROUTER only to have 7GB data logged over a 12 hr period. Funny how telus has no problem letting me know when I'm close to or over my limit, but they can't actually fix the bugs in their own system. BTW, more socially conscious countries realise that because their infrastructure is already in place, and what they are charging for is essentially air, they do not even HAVE data caps anymore. Now that I know this is not just a problem unique to me, I'll probably be cancelling my telus service, perhaps even initiate a lawsuit. I've only skimmed through the titles of these forums, and not one of them is positive. Hey, telus, pay attention. Call me if you have any response. I'll hold my breath.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@CptTrips wrote:
 I've only skimmed through the titles of these forums, and not one of them is positive. 

It is a support forum, so most of the posts are from folks trying to troubleshoot something. Few stop by to create a post of accolades. Human nature.

NFtoBC

To follow up on my current dilemma.

Installed a Local Router configured for DD-WRT

Checking the daily stats and the numbers indicate the data usage is consistent with my historical usage which has been below 200GB per month.

This month so far Telus is alleging in excess of 6 TB

I am in the process of installing a new internet (secondary) router on the Home internet side of the Telus Router configured with Tomato c/w a logging package to record the actual internet usage.

The interesting thing noted at this point is opening the LAN Status of the Telus Modem and viewing the Packets on the internet and comparing it to the Packets as reported by the current DD-WRT secondary router the Packet count and the GB data usage support the historical data usage while the Telus alleged data usage is in excess of 6TB.

Just using the Telus LAN data usage presents a large discrepancy with the Telus Alleged Data Usage 

Who can I address this difference to to effect an investigation which will bring about REAL change.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If I recall, Telus has agreed that there is an issue and are providing free unlimited data to compensate. Until the equipment your fibre is attached to is changed, it is likely that no other change will occur.

You can see about escalation here, if you wish, but you may already have the resolution they would offer.

NFtoBC

What I found was applications which are not native to the computer. These applications had identical upload and download bandwidth. In addition this computer had an unsecured WiFi port. It would appear the default setting is the WiFi is enabled but does not have a password.

Since this WiFi has been disabled the overall Data Usage has returned to the historical norms.

So you were offering free wifi for the neighbourhood?  Sounds like you have great neighbors.

So it would seem.

At any rate, the free access has now been removed. 

My internet network is now ethernet wire only.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Happy to learn you've arrived at a solution.

Now **I'm** curious to learn how this data was siphoned off without passing through your router, and being recorded.

NFtoBC

While the Data Usage Charges were displayed I could not find, initially the device or the application(s) using the action.

Finally I installed a Flashrouter loaded with TomatoUSB as a secondary router and within 2 days I found the device causing the data usage and as I said it was the WiFi Port of a dedicated device. The WiFi was by default turned on and I had neglected to turn it off as it was not part of the dedicated function. The Software applications I had attempted to use to locate the offending application/device did not register the offender.

After a lot of research I found the TomatoUSB firmware which gave a listing of it functions which included the network monitoring and logging of the data passing through the router.

The rest is now history, I hope.

@courierdog wrote:

LOL. I am sorry I can't help but laugh. I read your entire post and I was going along I kept saying to myself "Okay, this *HAS* to be a wifi issue. He totally has an unsecured wifi port". Then I saw you finally figured it out. Yes, you were giving free WiFi to the neighbourhood 🙂 The main reason I am posting here is to tell this to any future people who have really high bandwidth... *** CHECK TO MAKE SURE YOU DONT HAVE A PUBLIC WIFI NETWORK *** No offense, but courierdog you sound like you wasted a lot of Telus' customer support time on something that was a mistake on your end. You even threatened to report Telus to the CRTC and so forth. That being said, I wonder... HOW THE HELL didn't Telus technical support figure this out on the phone??? That is sickening that no one from Telus walked you through to see if you had a public wifi network open.

Sometimes, as in this case, even the Telus Techs who came to my residence to investigate the issue could not find the "OBVIOUS" WiFi open port.

This "OBVIOUS" WiFi Open Port, as it turned out was not quite as easy to uncover as it seems on the surface.

As Telus now admits who every it was, using the WiFi port, covered their tracks extremely well.

In the end, this situation required an insitu Router configured for Monitoring and Logging all Ethernet and WiFi Traffic.

PLEASE NOTE:

Most home networks are a simple Hodge-Podge of devices which are cobbled together one at a time as the need arrises, little if any security is involved, it is family, eh!

This "Life Lesson" identified that our Family Home Network has to be treated and operated as a Small Business Enterprise.

Each Residential Device had to be individually registered (Mac Address) then assigned an IP Address on the Home Network, with a single person acting as the Home Network Administrator.

While this is common place in the enterprise environment it is not normally required in the Home environment.