cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ever since Telus reset our modum we cant get all the devices to connect to our Telus wi-fi.

LDE
Neighbour

We have 2 cell phones, one computer, a tablet & a Kobi. Back in January, Telus had us reset our router/modem & then they did a reset at their end. Immediately thereafter we changed our password & connected our cell phones to wifi, no problems, I attempted to connect the computer several days later & could not get a wifi connection, even though it said the computer was connected. We had one cell disconnected from auto connected & noticed that the computer would them connected to wifi . We noted at that time that the IP address extension of . .....1.68 seemed to be a common issue. A month ago we contacted Telus again in an attempt to correct the problem, again everything was rebooted etc, but as it didnt work, they blamed it on the cell phone as the their system & mine show that the device is connected. They advised us to check our phone out with our provider. We have no issue connecting to other wifi providers on any of our devices, so it is something to do with Telus. Our IP devices & Option TV start with an IP .1.64 extension through to 1.72 & all IP extensions seem to work except 1.68. I cant be without my computer for long or my cell phone, & each time Telus resets us, it is crap shoot as to what device gets the  IP extension of 1.68, which will not connect to our wifi. Anyone know how to deal with this issue?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@LDEwrote:

Thanks Nighthawk, but I did change password & network name already. No issues there. Just cant get any devices to connect to wifi under IP extension 1.68. 

1. Login to the Admin panel on your router
  2. Select Advanced Setup
  3. Choose the "I know what I'm doing" option
  4. Select LAN IP settings in the list on the left margin
  5. Find > 1. Set the IP addressing values.
  6. Find > Beginning IP Address: 
  7. Change the 64 to 70.
  8. Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

However, I think @Nighthawk is on to something, and you have a device with a static address of .68. The list of devices, and their assigned IP address is contained on the first page at 192.168.1.254.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Using the admin panel, you could change the DHCP. Assignment range to,be above .1.70, avoiding the problem IP number.

NFtoBC

Where do I find the admin panel? Under My Telus account or device?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Instructions: https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/article/change-your-wifi-networks-name-and-password

If you have any computers physically connected to the modem, you can update your wireless settings easily. Instructions: https://www.telus.com/en/ab/support/interstitial/change-your-wi-fi-network-s-name-and-password

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks Nighthawk, but I did change password & network name already. No issues there. Just cant get any devices to connect to wifi under IP extension 1.68. 

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Forget .1.68. Whenever your devices connect to the router the IP address will start with 192.168.1.___, The last number will be .64 or higher, and it will be unique for any device connected, up to .254. Tons of room for devices. Did you set the IP address manually on your devices (cell phone etc) to be 192.168.1.68? If yes, that will cause things to fail automatically. They need to be set to DHCP / obtain the address automatically.

Choose one of your devices that are having problems connecting. When you check the wireless connection, what IP address to you see on the first problem device? If you "forget" the network on the device (remove saved network) and then try reconnecting, what happens?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@LDEwrote:

1. Login to the Admin panel on your router
  2. Select Advanced Setup
  3. Choose the "I know what I'm doing" option
  4. Select LAN IP settings in the list on the left margin
  5. Find > 1. Set the IP addressing values.
  6. Find > Beginning IP Address: 
  7. Change the 64 to 70.
  8. Click the Apply button at the bottom of the page.

However, I think @Nighthawk is on to something, and you have a device with a static address of .68. The list of devices, and their assigned IP address is contained on the first page at 192.168.1.254.

NFtoBC

I think you & @Nighthawk may have determined our issue. I believe our trouble started back in January when our internet usage went up to almost 100x our normal usage. Telus had us change our password & user name as they thought an unauthorized party had somehow connected to our wifi.   Our daughter, who is far more computer savvy,  reviewed the users on our wifi & discovered an unknown device/user attached to an IP address that she subsequently blocked. Since then, each time Telus has reset our wifi,  the IP addresses change/rotate on each of our devices.  The device that gets assigned to . 1.68 will not work even though the device indicates that it is connected to wifi. 

We will have our daughter, revisit this & the information that you & @Nighthawk have provided. I will let you know the outcome. Thank you. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Every time a router is powered down, or a device leaves the network for a while there is the likelihood that IP addresses will be re-assigned.

Devices may be blocked in:

1. Wireless > MAC address control 
  2. Advanced Setup > Services Blocking
NFtoBC