cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

scorpio
Neighbour

Since I got my macbook pro, I've had problems with my mail? Is it because Telus is'nt compatiable with Macs?

I've had the same e-mail account for 8 years, never had any problems with my windows pc.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Does it ask for the password only when receiving or also when trying to send?

If you are using Mail from Apple, check the following:

Mail Menu > Preferences > Accounts. Select your Telus account from the list.

- Account Info tab: Ensure all the information here is correct (name, email and servers).
     - Server should be pop.telus.net or imap.telus.net depending on your mailbox setup.

- Advanced tab: Port number at bottom should read 110 (POP3) or 143 (IMAP).

- Ensure the Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) check box is not checked and authentication is Password.

If you are running into problems still and the above settings are correct, under the Window Menu, select Connection Doctor and hit Show Detail at the bottom to see the server messages including errors. It should show the reason you are asked to enter your password. (lots of text will show up so not always easy to spot)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

@scorpio wrote:

I don't like the idea of having to give my mastercard number to Apple, to get a free Upgrade.

Get a temporary pre-paid credit card and put $10 on it.  Then spend it 2 weeks later.  Apple doesn't get your normal use credit card number.

The only caveat is if Apple does a 'credit check' charge of more than $10 .  Companies to ensure a valid credit card will do a small transaction and then reverse it.

12 REPLIES 12

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

It'll work fine with a Mac. Are you using Mail and what error message are you seeing?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

the message is that mail can't connect to telus, or it keeps asking for my password, which I do, and it keeps asking, it's strange and so frustrating. Good thing I kept my hotmail account.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

- Account Info tab: Ensure all the information here is correct (name, email and servers).
     - Server should be pop.telus.net or imap.telus.net depending on your mailbox setup.

- Ensure the Use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) check box is not checked and authentication is Password.

If you are running into problems still and the above settings are correct, under the Window Menu, select Connection Doctor and hit Show Detail at the bottom to see the server messages including errors. It should show the reason you are asked to enter your password. (lots of text will show up so not always easy to spot)

I can send, my problem is only with receiving. It comes and goes, I was on live chat last night with a telus agent in Manilla, and she sent me an e-mail, I got it, it's been fine since. It will be fine for awhile now, then for no reason, I'll have problems. I can deal with it, but did wonder about it being compatiable. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk wrote:

An IMAP port of 1025 is a better choice, and will allow sending emails when not connected to a Telus internet connection, such as when at a friends, or elsewhere.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Works fine with the mail app on OSX Mavericks on my MacBook.
NFtoBC

I' don't have Mavericks, only OS X mountain lion.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@scorpio wrote:

I' don't have Mavericks, only OS X mountain lion.

Worked fine under Mountain Lion as well.

Is there a particular reason why you've not upgraded? I've had no problems with Mavericks.

NFtoBC

I don't like the idea of having to give my mastercard number to Apple, to get a free Upgrade.

@scorpio wrote:

Get a temporary pre-paid credit card and put $10 on it.  Then spend it 2 weeks later.  Apple doesn't get your normal use credit card number.

The only caveat is if Apple does a 'credit check' charge of more than $10 .  Companies to ensure a valid credit card will do a small transaction and then reverse it.

Thanks for your advice. This practice really annoys me.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@scorpio wrote:

Then use iTunes cards for any purchases you make. You can create an Apple ID without a credit card, and top iot up with iTunes cards if you need to purchase anything, including any purchases for the upgrade path.

NFtoBC