cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Telus have an ISP Level blocklist we can use / Router level blocking not working

bingo_d
Just Moved In

Pretty simple question. The DNS and website blocking features on the provided router is absolute garbage and hardly ever work. I am wondering if Telus has an ISP level blacklist they can put on my account.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The one thing people need to remember is that website blocking on many routers only deals with unencrypted sites. Most sites now use SSL (are secure) which website blocking can't do much with since it doesn't break the encryption.

DNS blocking is getting harder to do with the proliferation of services like Cloudflare, Amazon AWS and others. One domain name could have any number of different IP addresses.

A VPN would bypass any restriction, website or DNS.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

No, but you can use a router of your own choosing for your network which can provide the blocking you want.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The one thing people need to remember is that website blocking on many routers only deals with unencrypted sites. Most sites now use SSL (are secure) which website blocking can't do much with since it doesn't break the encryption.

DNS blocking is getting harder to do with the proliferation of services like Cloudflare, Amazon AWS and others. One domain name could have any number of different IP addresses.

A VPN would bypass any restriction, website or DNS.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Agreed, it ended up to be fruitless in trying to do this at the router level given https bypassing everything. Sadly too, ad traffic is piped through https often which is making my pi-hole solution that was working for a while a bit less effective.

The solution to this was trying to go at aiming DNS properly, edits to host file. I have not had success adding another router to the dunce-like modem telus provided. It just does not seem to work with anything I have. Will keep trying though!