Does TELUS still have DSL/ADSL High Speed Internet???

Highlighted
Connector

I am a current TELUS dial-up user but the TELUS dial-up service will soon be no longer available. Can I get a cheap high-speed Internet connection with a DSL plan? I have tried but have been unable to get any information from TELUS. I want an affordable Internet connection but I want it available over my existing telephone land-line using the TELUS Gateway Wireless Device that I already have.  How do I go about getting TELUS to hook me up???

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

All the info can be found at telus.com, under the Internet section.

DSL is being replaced by newer and faster technologies in most locations.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Connector
But is DSL still available? The reason I'm asking here is because I read elsewhere that TELUS will not advertise all of their available plans on the TELUS website. I've been told that you need to specifically ask about their cheaper plans before they will tell you anything about them...
Highlighted
Connector

You can get Internet 6, but it's the same price as Internet 15.  The only way I was able to get a discount on 6 was when 15 wasn't available in my area.

If you only use it for email, an alternate would be a data plan on a mobile device.  PublicMobile.ca for example costs $25/month for a 3GB data plan without voice and text.  It can do voice and text too, if you want to pay for it.  It runs on the TELUS 4G LTE network.  3GB should be suffice for email and very light web browsing (but not YouTube and the like).

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
The cheapest plan is Internet 15 if available in your area.. As stated above older areas still have infrastructure with a maximum of 6.

Using a cellphone with data plan would be a last resort, and certainly not cost effective.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Connector

The cell data plan I quoted is $25/month.  Internet 15 is $63/month in a bundle.  I fail to see how the data plan is "not cost effective".

Remember the OP uses dial-up now.  I'd be impressed if he's using more than 1GB/month.  That would be 40+ hours of downloading at maximum speed.

Highlighted
Ambassador

@Mango wrote:

The cell data plan I quoted is $25/month.  Internet 15 is $63/month in a bundle.  I fail to see how the data plan is "not cost effective".

Remember the OP uses dial-up now.  I'd be impressed if he's using more than 1GB/month.  That would be 40+ hours of downloading at maximum speed.

I agree with your accounting and reasoning.  But being human with the need for more connection, the temptation to exceed the data plan once the barrier is reduced is there Robot Happy

Highlighted
Connector

Thanks guys for all the comments. It is most sincerely appreciated. The fact is that I've been on TELUS dial-up for about seventeen years at 52KBPS and I've managed okay.  I spoke today with a TELUS mobility rep and he has talked me into trying the Smart Hub (cell phone) with a flex plan.  The flex plan starts at ten dollars a month and goes up in stages as your usage increases.  The plan gives you 2GB capacity for forty dollars a month which is far more than what I would ever expect to use.  Forty dollars a month is only slightly more than what I'm now paying for my dial-up service.

Basically all I do on-line is email, forums, shopping and a few YouTube videos a month.  I can't see exceeding a 2GB max usage very often.  I don't think I would be inclined to increase my usage significantly.  Paying more than forty dollars a month on my income means skipping meals so I figure that that's a pretty good incentive not to yield to temptation. 

The 'Smart Hub' is a one-time-only initial purchase of three hundred dollars.  That I can manage if it is indeed only a one time expense.  The TELUS rep told me that it is the latest technology so I an assuming that I will be able to use it for many more years to come.  I also found out that a DSL/ADSL connection is no longer available at my location so that option is now gone anyway.

My only concern at the moment is that it sounds too good to be true.  I'm trying to think if there's of a downside or a catch.  I just can't figure out how TELUS can give me a high speed cell phone type connection for almost the same price as my current dial-up (without voice).  If there are some hidden costs that I haven't figured out yet or a big downside to this I'd like to hear about it.  Please let me know what you think...

Telus Smart Hub.jpg

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A few comments:

If you expect to continue to use cellular data, and your budget is tight, sign up for the 2 year deal, and get the Alcatel Go Wifi device for $0 on the flex plan. It will save you the $300 expenditure you describe, and the device costs will be drawn from your monthly fee. If you prefer the ZTE device the 2 year plan will cut it's cost to $150.

The hidden costs, surprises, downsides, etc are largely covered in @SCo post.

If budget is tight, you might want to talk to Telus about dropping your landline and getting Wireless Home Phone with Canada-wide calling, plus the usual bunch of features. As a (new) mobility customer, you should be able to get the $20  plan, rather than the $30 plan. 

If you plan your big downloads, you can often deal with them at your local library, and your YouTube watching might be relegated to public Wi-Fi, if you really want to keep your data use low.  Just watch out for software updates to you computer, and again try to schedule them at your library.

Hope this info is useful!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector

Yeah, I've thought about dropping my land line when I get the Smart Hub up and running but I'll hold off on that until I see what my monthly total TELUS bills are going to be. I don't make very many phone calls in any given month and they're mostly local anyway. I might talk long distance no more than three or four times a year at the most.

I can swing the 300 dollar initial cost for the Smart Hub now if I know for certain that it will be a one time expenditure.  I'd rather get that expense out of the way, right off the top, right now when I have the money.  I might not have the money in a few months from now.  With that cost out of the way, I can better plan my budgets from month-to-month.  

I am also aware about software updates.  I just blew away several hundred MB's upgrading one OS and the anti-virus programs on a couple of other computers.  As far as getting a free Wi-Fi connection, I think my local McDonald's restaurant has free internet Wi-Fi although I've never attempted to use it myself.

If the biggest downside is resisting the temptation to exceed my capacity limits then I think that I'll be okay with that.  Like I said before, I've been quite happy over 17 years with a 52KBPS dial-up connection.  Just the faster speeds of a high-speed connection will be like an unimaginable luxury well beyond my wildest dreams.  I don't think I could even possibly ever want for more... Smiley Very Happy

Highlighted
Connector

TELUS has now offered me a Mobile (cellular) plan that gives a 50GB max capacity at 25MPS for 60 dollars a month. Being that Dial-Up, DSL and Ethernet are no longer available to me, this seems to be my best (if not only ) option.  I was previously considering Ethernet, but I am not physically able to acquire the signal from the local transmission tower.  

I've been reading about some of the negatives of Mobile internet, but they mostly seemed related to the mobile hand-held devices themselves.  Does anyone here have any comments reference the use of a Mobile (cellular)  internet with laptop or desktop computers?  The information I was reading appeared to be about four or five years old.  I am wondering what the level of performance would be for a Mobile internet service today...  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

The performance of the cellular internet will be far in excess of the dial-up you have used.

Ethernet is a very local wired technology, used within a building. Are you thinking about a wireless ISP, who would install an antenna at your house?

You should have no trouble staying within a 50GB / month limit.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector

Yes I know that the cellular connection far exceeds what I really need.  However the two options were a cellular mobile connection for 42 bucks a month with a 2GB cap or a plan at 60 bucks a month with a 50GB cap.  There was no plan in between those two.  The numbers seem real screwy to me but the TELUS rep said that that's the way it is.

I miss my dial-up already.  I had an unlimited usage cap with my dial-up plan so the 2GB cellular plan seemed useless... 😞

I really wish that DSL/ADSL was still available.  I get the impression that TELUS is like Microsoft in that they force you to buy the more expensive stuff even though you don't actually want it or need it. I am assuming that there just weren't enough dial-up customers left for TELUS to worry about it.  They obviously don't seem to care if they were to lose us altogether.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Dial-up is old technology that less and less people use every year. With the push to get broadband to more and more users dial-up becomes used by less people. There's still a cost to maintain the dial-up infrastructure, and eventually it costs more to maintain then revenue it generates. While it doesn't always come down to dollars and cents companies that make hardware become few and far between to support it.

While some people only had dial-up as an option. With satellite and cellular options for internet access, people are more quick to adopt the faster technology. It's a big difference what sometimes can take days or hours, can be achieved in minutes.

Sure once you experience the higher speeds you will appreciate this to. I would jump all over the 50GB for $60 offer. While you may not think you will use that much data now, i am sure what you start surfing with the newer technology. You'll enjoy it. Remembering dial-up in the early 90's we've come a long way.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Connector

At this point it seems that the 60 dollar/50GB plan is the only real option that I have. The 2GB plan doesn't make any sense when yo can get 50GB for 18 dollars more.  I figured that if I go on YouTube at all, I will burn up 2GB in a very short time.  I am more concerned now about the performance of the cellular service.  I've read some disappointing things about it which is why I'm asking about it here.  I've already assumed that I will likely need a decent external antenna to boost the signal strength and they sell for about 130 bucks or more.

I've even read about one guy on cellular whose speed was no better than dial-up... 😞

Highlighted
Connector

I just hooked up my new high-speed ZTE 'Smart Hub' and I now have a TELUS high speed connection.  However, the box doesn't make those familiar dial-up 'buzz-buzz-hiss-hiss-whurr-click-click-bing-bing' sounds that I'm used to.  How do I make it do that??? 😄   

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Here you go!

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector

@NFtoBC wrote:

Here you go!

Many thanks for that.  I'm all better now.  I just didn't want to go from Dial-Up to cellular high-speed cold turkey...

Highlighted
Ambassador

Obviously, you are having lots of fun, and will visit this forum more frequently.  

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Enjoy the new found freedom on the high speed connection. You'll love it.

Highlighted
Connector

Well I'm slowly getting used to it.  I'll just have to take my time.  I had dial-up for seventeen years and the downloads are so fast now that it makes me  a little dizzy.  When I click 'play' on a video now it actually 'plays'!  It's never ever done that before and it kinda creeps me out...

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Welcome to the 21st century!

NFtoBC