cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Phillips DVD need to plug into TV box for Telus Remote to work?

frandales
Neighbour

Will it work if DVD is plugged into TV not box? How?  Do I set mode to Aux?  or to TV and set source ast HDMI?  

6 REPLIES 6

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

For best results, plug your DVD player into your TV directly. The Telus boxes don't have any input connections on them.

Aux mode is for any device that isn't the TV or the Telus box so that will be the one to use. Just look through the guide for the code for the DVD player > http://www.telus.com/content/help/common/pdf/slimline_remote_control/4_digit_Code_List.pdf

The source will depend on what you plug the DVD player in to on the TV. Composite, HDMI etc.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Thanks.  Tried using the scan but many functions still don't work with telus slim remote.  Will try again with codes you provided. If that doesn't work I guess I'm stuck with using 2 remotes.  

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

There's lots of electronics which do not work with the Telus remotes, so you are not alone in needing to use 2 (or more) remotes. If an All-in-one remote is important for you, the Harmony Remote is a popular programmable choice.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Thanks NFtoBC, but we already tried an All-In-One remote that was made for our Phillips TV, and couldn't get it to perform properly with the Telus TV box either...only some features worked, but not the dvd, thought it might be the way it was plugged in, but since it's not, I give up.  

At least we now need only one remote for our TV, since we got the Phillips.  The old Soyo wasn't on any of their code lists.  It wouldn't work all features with Telus TV remote and needed the tv remote to control volume and turn on or off.  But other features such as channel changing, recording etc worked with the Telus TV remote, so we were constantly switching remotes... 2 for the tv and 1 for the dvd.  So getting down to 1 for the TV is something anyway.  🙂

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

The remote that comes with any TV will not have the ability to control a IPTV or Cable box. The All-in-one remote you'd need is a Harmony remote (not cheap but will control nearly anything).

For the DVD player, just use the remote that came with it. Far fewer headaches and better control. I use my Bluray player remote for mine. Never had an issue. You should only really need 2 remotes total. Reprogram the Telus remote to work with your TV and the Telus remote should control power and volume on the TV if configured correctly.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

The remote was considered an all in one.  Wasn't the one we got with the TV.  But we still couldn't get it to work.  Don't really want to spend money on an expensive one. Will save the money and settle for the 2 remotes.  Yes, with my current TV my Telus TV remote works everything now, including power and volumn (everything except the dvd).   Smiley Happy