Do You Trust Your ISP-Purchased Speed

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Rockstar

How often do you testing your "INTERNET-SPEED" Did your latest test matched the..Download & Upload Speed that your (ISP- Internet Sever Provider) Claims to be delivered. If NOT Would you consider changed to boost Speed.

Here's a link with an Updated 2015-Sites list to Testing your Internet SPEED..Although all the Websites test readings offer a fair degree of accuracy, some of them offering better results.

The Speedtest.net-Tester is rated as the BEST find it down below the list. Speedtest.net and AT&T measures the Download & Upload Speed at once. Also the CenturyLink display a graphic, with the download & Upload purchased, so users can compare results--Any Comment. Posted on.. http://forum.telus.com/  Bye <<v9

Link: http://pcsupport.about.com/od/toolsofthetrade/tp/internet-speed-test.htm

Anybody up there-Know if Telus and Shaw offers its own Internet Speed Testers..PS posted.

@v9-12 yrs.Telus mobile user & Ex-BC Tel cable installer.
Find this reply useful-Give likes to his author
The future is unknown?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes Telus and Shaw have multiple speedtest servers. If you want the easy way to access them just go to Speedtest.net. If you just click Begin Test it'll usually find them pretty fast.

Telus delivers faster speeds than advertised for me and from other posts I've seen a lot of other users. Shaw... not so much.

Beware of posting a random list of speedtest sites and an article that lacks proper explanations as that can easily lead to people who don't understand speedtests and how they work, to misunderstanding the results they get. If people test to a site far away or to a test server that has low bandwidth or is busy/saturated, the speedtest results will be skewed and not accurate. Testing speeds to your ISP's server simply show the speed your modem has is correct to the ISP. Outside of the ISP's network the speeds will fluctuate wildly.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes Telus and Shaw have multiple speedtest servers. If you want the easy way to access them just go to Speedtest.net. If you just click Begin Test it'll usually find them pretty fast.

Telus delivers faster speeds than advertised for me and from other posts I've seen a lot of other users. Shaw... not so much.

Beware of posting a random list of speedtest sites and an article that lacks proper explanations as that can easily lead to people who don't understand speedtests and how they work, to misunderstanding the results they get. If people test to a site far away or to a test server that has low bandwidth or is busy/saturated, the speedtest results will be skewed and not accurate. Testing speeds to your ISP's server simply show the speed your modem has is correct to the ISP. Outside of the ISP's network the speeds will fluctuate wildly.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Nighthawk wrote:

Ok-Nighthawk: I heard you-Carry on any INTERNET.Speed TEST-Put in practice the readings to change ISP or other means is totally up to the User. Personally I do Not do any-Changes without consult, with my IT-Techy adviser. Stay TUNED! <v9>

ATTENTION @rayrayj: Any performance issue- it's to be reported to Telus.Support to be resolved. We can measure our PCs Internet Speed if results are unacceptable. Let's do our research if we change ISP or make the necessary fixes.

The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Rockstar

Ya,I'm in telus fiber 50mbps and am getting in between 60 to 65mbps on WiFi on my laptop 5g and on my computer I am getting 82 to 90,that's how to treat a customercustomer...

Highlighted
Connector

i have telus 25, pretty much always have my posted speed

Highlighted
Rockstar

ATTENTION: @iamstillvince: Thanks for your post. The objective of this " 'Net Speed Tester list" is that Users-can choose any Site to TESTING the Speed. It's up to them to sort out-If the Speed offered by the ISP- Meet the Standards. Stay.Tuned! <v9>

The future is unknown?
Highlighted
Rockstar

I am not saying telus is bad,they are giving me 15 to 20 more Mbps..

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@v9. You wanted a discussion, try not to stifle it. So when are you getting your Telus internet connection? You said before you use Shaw right? 

Highlighted
Rockstar

@Nighthawk wrote:

@v9. You wanted a discussion, try not to stifle it. So when are you getting your Telus internet connection? You said before you use Shaw right? 

Re: Nighthawk-Latest reply: If I wanted a discussion,.Yeah I like them. If I'm changing my ISP-No my ISP is <Shaw.ca> #1 in BC-Who disagree out there,.Hu-ha! - I invited you to read the DOWN-Below article.

Hello! TELUSTERS. I had in mind to write a POST About--Who was the Fastest-2014-ISPs in Canada. So <v9> include the post content here. The article is a bit older from Sep-09-2014. But still have validity this Magazine-PCMag.com

Made a "2014-Review" not only of the fastest ISP in Canada, but also from ea. Province. At national level PCMag announced as winner to "Rogers-2ndyr." while on cities like Toronto-Rogers is the favorite too. Click Pg2-article to view Prov.-ISP

In Alberta & BC- is <Shaw.ca> who dominate the market. Do you agree-disagree, with this PCMag-Review. PS send your comment. Read you soon <v9> .MAY I send a msge..@nasty got a new-Avatar-cool-Ehh. nasty-reply to this topic.

Link to read more: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0%2c2817%2c2467273%2c00.asp

ATTENTION: @Nighthawk-Latest Reply: Thx for came up with a more accurate & detailed report of the "Fastest 2014-CDN-ISPs". Yeah I noticed the issues-About the PCMag.com

I'll stay with Shaw.ca-I'm still no convinced to Switch. The issue here's to create discussion, about if these "Websites-Reviews" are trusty. New comments send it. Thks from <v9>

The future is unknown?
Community Power User
Community Power User

That PCMag article is very inaccurate and the data is skewed badly. Because of a tiny sample size from one specific speedtest site, It has the wrong speeds showing on the graph of the page you linked. The source data has quite different results.

Actual ranking of top 10 ISPs based on ALL of SpeedTest.net's data @ http://explorer.netindex.com/maps 

ispchart.png

The results for top providers also vary a lot by city. I'd recommend you read through the actual speed test results rather than some heavily reformatted and inaccurate article. Also the real results for quality have Telus ahead of Shaw.

The article methodology also shows how the data was collected and there is a very small sample size from only one speedtest page that most users won't even know exists. 

• Methodology
    The results in this article were taken from a total of 156,655 individual tests completed from October 1, 2013 to August 13, 2014 at http://pcmag.speedtest.net.

It's a perfect example of why not to blindly trust what you read in an article. Telus has some of the cheapest data in the country when compared to the big carriers and also some of the highest upload speeds. See the chart I made below. (Prices are before taxes as those vary by province and don't take into account the download speed)

ispchart.png

Shaw recently dropped their 100mbps package down to 60mbps. Shaw also dropped their unlimited data options also. Telus still has 100mbps and is building out their network a lot quicker than Shaw is and it's quite possible that Telus could jump in comparison to Shaw on future speedtest results.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

While speedtest is the standard.  I've given up on recommeding the site.  It's full of confusing adware and some public wifi sites block it when I want to test the speed prior to watching Optik on the Go.

My preferred test site is a telus version... http://rimouski.speedtest.telus.com/

Sadly, but it does not work on my iPad Safari.  I get an error msg of needing version 8 of Flash.  It forces me to get an iOS app.

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Also when running tests.... make sure there is no one streaming a video in the background.  Do you have a IP security cloud camera?  That can reduce your bandwidth speed results too.