Do I need an install appointment to go from 100 to 150 fibre

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector

So, I was about to leave Telus to go to Shaw for my internet service, since Shaw called me and offered a pretty good deal for their new 150 service.  So I phoned Telus to cancel and I was offered a comparable plan on the new 150 fibre optic service so I decided to stay.  They booked an install appointment for me, and I didn't think anything of it.  However, I'm already on fibre optic with Telus' 100 service, so I'm wondering why I'd need an install appointment when I already have fibre set up in my apartment.  I'm a little ignorant to how these things work, but I assume that if I'm already connected to fibre and have all the hardware set up they should only need to adjust things on their end, or am I completely out to lunch?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident
As a Telus tech I have 2 responses: 1st , you're not out to lunch-it's a perfectly reasonable question, 2nd , we send a tech out on most upgrades to ensure the upgrade went through successfully and to run diagnostic tools. Also quite often we will adjust or add devices so the upgrade is noticeable throughout the residence.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Advisor

OK, just curious. I have to ask.

Why?

I have internet 15 and seems decent. Maybe internet 50 might be neat. Internet 100. Crazy fast (but would probably be disappointed as the stuff being served up isn't that fast, but internet 150?

What would you get from 150 you don't get from 100?

Again, just curious. That's all.

Highlighted
Connector
Well honestly I had a promotional plan that was ending for the 100 plan and shaw was going to give me 150 for the same price as my soon to expire 100 promo plan. Telus said they'd match it, so might as well take it if they're going to offer it. I stream a lot of HD video through netflix, hulu, etc. as well as nhl gamecenter and mlb so the speed is fine but I've come close to the data caps so the extra data the 150 provides, gives me worry free streaming. I don't have a traditional cable TV service so we stream pretty much everything through the Internet connection on multiple devices at the same time throughout the household. Honestly, the 100 has been just fine, but like I said earlier if they're going to give me 150 for the same price why not?
Highlighted
Ambassador
I just did the exact same thing. No appointment necessary. I was previously on 100, was thinking of switching to the new Shaw plan and Telus offered to match it.

You'd be surprised what sites/programs support >100mbps speeds, when downloading 50-100GB a day the extra 50 definitely makes a difference.

The extra upload on the 150 plan will also really help.
Highlighted
Ambassador

The internet connection to your home is far more complex than it appears, as I have found. Telus is using a whole bag of technology tricks to achieve these high speeds. I can get 100 Mbps over copper with the right equipment and set up. They will test your line and potentially the router may need to be changed to get 150. Don't know as I don't have fiber optic to my house but still get TV and Internet over copper. 

Highlighted
Resident

beyond the advertised download speed (i.e. 100, 150) the other thing to keep in mind is the upload speed along with these plans.  I was a long time Shaw customer and switched my services to Telus Fiber 100 due to the upload speed of 20 that Shaw could not touch.  I have Nest products (3 thermostats, 5 Protects and 3 cams) and could not get the real-time camera streaming at the qualities i wanted without the upload speeds.

I miss Shaw TV but the Fiber upload speed has been solid and was worth the change.

Highlighted
Ambassador
Upload is the reason I switched to Telus as well. Even with the new 150 Shaw plan they still can't come close to Telus in uploads. 150/15 vs 150/30, big difference for me, hell I'd take 50/50 I've the 150/30 any day.
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident
As a Telus tech I have 2 responses: 1st , you're not out to lunch-it's a perfectly reasonable question, 2nd , we send a tech out on most upgrades to ensure the upgrade went through successfully and to run diagnostic tools. Also quite often we will adjust or add devices so the upgrade is noticeable throughout the residence.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Resident

@VictoryGuy Internet 15 had an insufficient data cap for me. I've been rolling on Telus 50 now since February and come close to exceeding the cap monthly. With that said, Telus 150 is $1/mo less than Telus 50 and includes 650 GB... Why not upgrade?

5563342726.png

Highlighted
Connector
When the tech came, he was awesome and even moved a jack for me to make the router set up look a lot nicer. He did upgrade my router from the v1000 to the v1200 which was good, but now I'm hearing there is a 3200 Actiontec router being used with fibre and it has a 5 GHz channel. Is this something I should look at upgrading? The speeds are fine with the 1200 but would be nice to have the dual band of the 3200. The current router is working fine so I don't want to mess up a good thing if it's not that much better lol.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Scoots

The differences of the T3200 are:

Two inputs for bonded pair setups

2.4 and 5 GHz wireless

Wireless for Optik TV built in, so no need for a separate interface.

Unless you have recent enough devices that will use both Wi-Fi bands to increase speed, or are in a location where 2.4 GHz is already saturated, and you have enough devices with 5GHz capabilities, there is no rush to make the swap if your current setup meets your needs.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"