cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I have to use the T3200M router Telus provide?

MonkeyRPN
Organizer

I'm wondering if I can use my Asus RT-AC88U router instead. It has 8 ports and I wouldn't need to use a switch to connect all the Cat6 cables running from various areas of the house. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have Optik TV, you will want to use the T3200 for the TV boxes. You can plug your router into port 1 on the T3200M and go from there. Bridging is optional.  If you have DSL and the T3200 is connected to the phone lines, you have no choice but to use it. If you do NOT have Optik, and have a fibre optic connection, you can use the Asus router directly to the fibre terminal. 

Some users have reported issues with Asus routers in the past. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have Optik TV, you will want to use the T3200 for the TV boxes. You can plug your router into port 1 on the T3200M and go from there. Bridging is optional.  If you have DSL and the T3200 is connected to the phone lines, you have no choice but to use it. If you do NOT have Optik, and have a fibre optic connection, you can use the Asus router directly to the fibre terminal. 

Some users have reported issues with Asus routers in the past. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You’ll still need a switch once your network grows beyond 8 devices! Robot LOL

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"