Did you know we been charge extra on our billing with tax?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Etown
Helpful Neighbour

Hi Everyone

Have you check notice the charges on tax is wrong? we been getting charge extra for the past few months! If you haven't you should and let Telus hear your voice.  They told me was system error and should be resolve but they haven't.  You should double check especially if you live in Alberta. 

Etown

Community Power User
Community Power User

Tax looks fine on my statements and I'm in Alberta. Can you provide more information on what you're seeing?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. Smiley Happy
vishwa
Ambassador

I am one of those who have been taxed extra.  I don't want to make a big deal of it here but just wanted to confirm that it has happened.  A very nice Telus agent is looking into it.  In my case it started in September and is still ongoing. It is in the 3-4 dollar range extra.  Hopefully, it will be resolved soon. 

Darlene1
Coach

I am charged over 20.00 tax on my 160.00 bill. How can I tell if I being taxed correctly. I live in BC and do not understand tax calculation

Community Power User
Community Power User

You can download and review your bill in 'My Account' and check all the details. However, on a home services bill of $160, 5% GST  and 7% PST should equal $19.70, so it looks like appropriate amounts.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Etown
Helpful Neighbour

The phone wait with telus is ridiculous long everytime anyone call! Not sure why their customer service is so bad.  Did they resolve your matter or they're looking into it.  I wish they could sent a explanation in advance knowing there is issue with their system of charging taxes.  

canucks4life
Ambassador

In my case chat rep said they're looking into it and gave me a goodwill credit for taxes charged on Nov bill however the issue has been going on for a few months now from what I can tell...hopefully come Dec bill it will be resolved.

vishwa
Ambassador

Fraud is a very strong word for this.  It is some kind of accounting software glitch.  The rep I talked to consulted a few people and they admitted it was a mistake and they are looking into it.  

Etown
Helpful Neighbour
looking into it! how long ? did they give you a date and time when they resolve ! it already happening to few months!
TMc
Neighbour

I have had the same problem and was told that before I switched plans a couple months ago, GST was incorrectly charged on the post-discount rate, that my change had triggered a reset in their system, and now GST was correctly charged on the pre-discount rate. I disagree, and it looks like CRA does as well -  https://www.canada.ca/content/dam/cra-arc/migration/cra-arc/E/pub/gp/rc4022/rc4022-17e.pdf, but from the conversations I had, Telus maintains they are correct and will not be looking into it any further...

Telus-taxes-wrong
Friendly Neighbour

To TMc...  I suggest that you take this to the elected representative for your area.  There must be thousands of people affected and millions of dollars in play here. 

The methods used to calculate are clearly outlined in the tax bulletins. 

Charging tax on a high retail price, while really selling at a lower, discounted price is not the proper method for sales tax calculation.  Could you fathom the outrage if car dealerships said, "well, the sticker price is $40,000, we charge tax on $40,000, but we'll sell you the car for $34,800"?

Etown
Helpful Neighbour
Spoiler

For example my bill is $132 I got charge over 8 dollars! 

Etown
Helpful Neighbour

I hope there is more of us looking into this, and then maybe telus will resolve this matter ! this is a tax fraud and affecting customers across canada!

Etown
Helpful Neighbour

Taxes should be charge base on the final total correct ? Discount should apply to the total first then tax! 

Keithster
Resident

I recently negotiated a 50% discount on my phone, tv, and internet but they still calculated the taxes on the full amount. Telus reps say call CRA and I get no help from them. Can this be correct?

Darlene1
Coach

Gst and pst totals 12%, I get charged the 12% on the total amount owing which is a discount that I get as well. I checked past bills, some include a discounted rate and it all calculates correctly.

Lola
Rockstar

Whether taxes are added before or after a % discount, the final amount is the same. If you add 12% tax to 100.00, then subtract 5%, you get the same total as if you subtracted 5% from 100.00 then added 12% tax. If the discount is a coupon, or  a set dollar amount, then where tax is applied is dependent on if the amount is reimbursable to the merchant or not.

I don't know if this helps anyone here. It would be helpful to those of us trying to help if we could see the bills, discounts, itemization, etc., in real time.

Etown
Helpful Neighbour
I'm glad we have a discussion here and got few people attention! 1) Telus rep said they'll get back to me but I still haven't from them over few weeks now. I spoke to CRA and they agree that tax should be calculate on the final amount not pre-caluclate. 2) my charge from previous few months is different range from $144 to $123 but tax is still the same at $8! Make any sense?? Discount or no discount ! federal tax is only 5% and in alberta there is no pst! What is 5% for 132 ? not 8.32

vishwa
Ambassador

I am also waiting to hear from the Telus rep(who said he will look into it and call back).  In my case it is about 3-4 dollars more than it should be.  It only started in September.  I have a feeling that this issue might have affected people who made some change in the account(such as upgrade, change tv package, add a service or some other) during August-September time period.  Otherwise, we would have heard from many more people.

I am going to wait another week and then contact that Rep again to see what is happening.  By that time I will have received another bill.

Etown
Helpful Neighbour
totally agreed with you Vishwa! It happened for me as well starting August......calling Telus is such a time wasting. It took me over an hour to reach a rep on a slow day or busy day!