Data Usage Jump

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I've been a telus customer for quite a few years and have never used more than 80 GB of data. We watch mostly Netflix and have a Macbook and a Windows 10 machine and two Android phones that also run off of the wifi. Last month we were contacted by Telus that they wanted to replace our tv box and modem, which they did on Jan. 20. With 11 days left on our billing cycle, we have now used 188 GB of data.  I contacted Telus support and asked them what had changed that had increased our data usage? Nothing has changed in our viewing or usage pattern. They were able to show me daily usage data and following the installation of the new box and modem, our usage more than doubled. Tech support told me that it had nothing to do with the new installation and we must have increased our data usage. I assured them we hadn't. I called the tech who did the install and he said the same thing. In fact, when he did the install he checked our data usage and said there was no need to change our plan to get more data. Then I called tech support back again and, after managing to get past all of their scripts about what uses data and our data usage pattern, they told me that it was related to the install of the new box. "We had a better picture so it was using more data." I noted that Telus could have told us that the install was going to affect our data, and she agreed. So I don't know which tech support person to believe now. I don't mind paying for what I am using, but I don't want to feel like I'm being ripped off either. Anybody with this experience out there?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Connector

I think the post about streaming in standard def and high def could be a factor here. Especially if there is any 4k or HD going on. They use drastically more data than standard def and could be the culprit. If the amount you are watching isn't changing but the resolution is there is your possible answer.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Look back through this forum topic, or complete a search to find similar queries, and discussions about solutions. There was some discussion about a year ago.

If you switched to a higher speed service, it is possible Netflix delivers higher quality picture, increasing your data consumption. There is a settings option in Netflix for quality of picture, if you want to adjust it.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Rockstar

This is an enormous jump if your usage pattern has not changed, and you should have been told it would happen, and why. I'd be disconcerted by such a jump. Why did Telus change your equipment? Were you happy with your old box and set-up, picture quality, speed, etc.? If so, can you go back to it, if it makes you more comfortable? I'd be a little put-out if I was forced to change equipment when I hadn't changed services. I'm on Shaw for internet and TV, and I've never been asked by Shaw to replace anything. I replace what I choose, when I want.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
As far as I know. I didn't switch to a higher speed service. But certainly the performance of the box is much better. But would that more than double my data?
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Lola wrote:

Why did Telus change your equipment? Were you happy with your old box and set-up, picture quality, speed, etc.? If so, can you go back to it, if it makes you more comfortable? I'd be a little put-out if I was forced to change equipment when I hadn't changed services. 

Telus has been changing out some really old equipment, and moving folks from separate modem / router to combined ones from Actiontec. This allows them to update firmware, and possibly gather diagnostic information. Also, changes in Internet packet delivery may need new equipment on the client side, as Telus has moved from ADSL to VDSL.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Finnigan wrote:
As far as I know. I didn't switch to a higher speed service. But certainly the performance of the box is much better. But would that more than double my data?

It could, depending. For instance, if your speed is higher, and your habit is to surf away from a page before it is fully dowloaded, more (especially video) would have downloaded before you left the page. There are other usages which might increase usage, but double the amount is surprising.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
We don't do any surfing or streaming other than Netflix.
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
We don't do any surfing or streaming other than Netflix.
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Connector

I think the post about streaming in standard def and high def could be a factor here. Especially if there is any 4k or HD going on. They use drastically more data than standard def and could be the culprit. If the amount you are watching isn't changing but the resolution is there is your possible answer.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rockstar

If your modem has a router built in.  Have you made the effort to secure it?  The internet is full of default settings for just about every provider around the world.  Your neighbours could be enjoying free internet at your expense.  There is another possibility I can think of is, that the older equipment wasn't actually tracking and counting everything you were doing, causing your data usage to be lower with the older equipment.  This can be a big motivation for companies to try and convince customers to swap out their older equipment.  

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour
I think you may well be right. But I think a warning from Telus would have been appropriate, either from the installer or tech support.
Highlighted
Coach

Copy from another thread, more appropriate here:

"Hi

Almost the same here, but without the move, albeit on lower figures. Jump from an average of 14GB to 24GB last month on my 25/25 Pure Fibre. No WiFi, only Ethernet in the house. Looks as if they suddenly count erroneously PikTv too. Otherwise it's just not possible. No changes in my daily usage: No streaming, no new TV set, no downloads, no kids. Honestly T is technically very good but otherwise they suck in every department now!

Btw the PikTv guide is, after more than three months, still not fixed!

Clint"