cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DNS servers and moca

viperdiablo1
Organizer
Got a new t3200 modem just wondering if the DNS servers can be changed? If so how?
Also I notice the modem has built in moca according to the specs. However the tech has installed a Ethernet cable from the modem to a moca adapter then to coax. At the main tv with the 4k PVR another moca adapter. Is the built in moca not activated ? The setup the tech installed works fine. Just want to eliminate adapters and cables if possible. Thanks for any info on the two issues.
6 REPLIES 6

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Yes, there is a page in the advanced section of the T3200 Admin pages , I believe it is titled WAN  IP addressing or similar where you can set your own static DNS servers.

I'm not sure about the MOCA, but it may be for incoming services only, which would be why the tech installed the additional devices s/he did.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Is there a coax jack next to the modem itself? If no, or if the coax jack is not working, that could be one reason why ethernet was installed for the first section.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

SCo
Ambassador

Does the 4k PVR not connect wirelessly to the router or extender/access point thus requiring a hardwire connection, via ethernet? Was MOCA used due to absence of CAT 5 cabling?

I do agree that lesser the number of adapter, the better.

If it were me, I would experiment with using the t3200 built in MoCA, to see if it works.

Yes the modem has a coax jack on it. The 4K pvr does not have a coaxial port. Only Ethernet . No wifi capabilities. So if you don't have Ethernet cable by your tv the installer will use a Moca adapter.

I don't have 4k TV.  So was just reading the ARRIS VIP5662W Wireless IPTV Receiver manual, see link below, which seem to indicate that the 4k PVR gets the signal wireless from the router or AP.

4k PVR user guide

Part of the manual says:

The VIP5662W provides these extraordinary home entertainment features:

• Wireless input via the Access Point lets you easily position or move your video entertainment system anywhere in your residence -- or even outside -- without network wires or cables

Looks like your 4k PVR is different, and requires an ethernet cable connection.  In your case, the ethernet was provided via coax using MoCA adapters.  But nevertheless, as you asked in the first post, why the need for the adapter at the T3200M when it has already built-in MoCA, unless it is not supported by Telus.

Intriguing!

canucks4life
Leader

@viperdiablo1 wrote:
Got a new t3200 modem just wondering if the DNS servers can be changed? If so how?
Also I notice the modem has built in moca according to the specs. However the tech has installed a Ethernet cable from the modem to a moca adapter then to coax. At the main tv with the 4k PVR another moca adapter. Is the built in moca not activated ? The setup the tech installed works fine. Just want to eliminate adapters and cables if possible. Thanks for any info on the two issues.

You can statically assign primary/secondary DNS servers on router config page http://192.168.1.254, Advanced Setup, LAN IP Settings