Creating a second SSID in my home, what do I need to do?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I have the Actionet V1000H and I want to create a 2nd network in my home for guests. How do I do it?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Enter the Admin mode on your gateway (instructions on the bottom of the device), go to the wireless tab, choose add guest connection & follow the prompts.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

thank you for the fast reply

So I have done as you recommended but there were no other prompts, I hit Apply, some changes were saved…now what?

Do I somehow enter a new name for the guest network?

Highlighted
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

I too have the V1000H... I don't see a "add guest connection".

I do see an option to enable "SSID Guest".  However this just turns my entire wireless connection to guest mode and I'm unable to get to the router admin screen.

I too don't see for an option for second SSID.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

My Bad, then. It's been a while since I had the V1000H, and I was sure you could enable guest SSID from the wireless panel.  I must be getting old, tired, or both!

Is there an option to manage alternate SSID in the "select SSID" option under wireless as in the T1200H?

I know I set up a second SSID somehow on my previous gateway as SSID = TELUS1234-2 with its own password.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Neighbour

I think I figured it out.

Under the Wireless tab,

You need to enable SSID State so you can have more than one SSID (networks), hit apply

Once you do you should see a second option under Select SSID drop down just above prob named Telus###

Select the new SSID and now you should be able to give it a personalized name and passphrase

Highlighted
Advisor

Sounds like this is just a second SSID-- the only advantage being an alternate password.  A "true" guest account would limit access to your LAN