Connecting T3200M to patch panel/home wired network

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I'm looking to hook up our internet (through the T3200M) into our home's pre-wired Cat5e network so we can have wired internet for computers/gaming.  For reference, we have a relatively new townhome that was purchased pre-wired with ethernet hookups in 5 rooms.  The patch panel appears to have 5 ports that have been wired (1 through 5), which makes sense given the 5 rooms. 

The current setup that Telus installed has the ONT in the basement "cable box", with one Cat5e cable going into the patch panel (port 5 on the patch panel).  Then in the living room the 3200M is hooked up to a jack in the wall.

I tried moving the 3200M into the basement cable box and connecting the 4 LAN ports on the T3200M into ports 1-4 on patch panel (so one of the ports on the patch panel isn't connected, but that's fine). 

However, despite the change, only the living room ethernet jack appears to be working (which is the same one that was used previously).  When I try connecting my laptop into the other 4 rooms ethernet jacks, 3 of the 4 don't seem to see any sort of network, and one sees an "unidentified network" that has no internet.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what might be going wrong?  I am definitely not a networking expert, so hoping I am missing something simple.  Is it possible that something is wrong with the actual wiring of the patch panel/wall ethernet jacks?  Or is there something on the application side of the 3200M that I need to adjust?  Or something else?

Thanks!

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestion

In the panel, all ports had the same order of wires.  I opened up 3 of the wall-jacks (including the one that worked) and all 3 had the identical wiring.  So it "seems" that the wall-jacks are done correctly.

My only thought now, is that looking at the panel, is that maybe they didn't punch down the wires in the actual panel - as the wires to port #4, which is the one that works to our living room, have a nice clean cut, but the other ports aren't quite as nice (attached a picture below port #4 is very tight but #2 is very uneven...and ports1,3,5 are similarly uneven).  So my suspicion is maybe that when the home was built, they weren't punched fully... and then when the telus installer came, he noticed and punched down the wires he needed.

Not sure if either of you two experts can tell from the picture if those are not punched - would love to have a second opinion before going out and buying a punch down tool.

IMG_3617.JPG 

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Connector

The ONT needs to be connected directly to the WAN port on the 3200M (and not to the patch panel port 5 as in the original setup). Then connect the 3200M LAN ports to the four jacks on the patch panel that you need active. It sounds like the ONT is still connected to jack 5 on the patch panel and that is why the jack in the living room is still active.

There are other things that could be wrong but first make sure that you have things set up as follows:  ONT -> 3200M WAN port and 3200M LAN ports to patch panel ports.

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the reply - I do have it as you described ONT --> WAN on 3200M --> Patch panel

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Silly question, but are the jacks connected to the Ethernet cable between the central location & the various rooms, or were the ethernet cables run, but not connected?

Have you restarted the T3200M since moving it?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

I thought that as well - however I believe all the ethernet cables are connected (when I take off the faceplate, there is a cable connected to the blue/back jack attached to the faceplate.

I have restarted (and reset) the router, but nothing changed.

What I find most confusing is that I get 3 different results at the 5 different plugs.  The one plug works fine, the one plug when attached seems to see there is a network but can't do anything about it ("Unidentified network - no internet") and the other 3 don't seem to see anything.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

For the ethernet jacks, and the ports in the panel, there should be a total of 8 wires connected. Ensure all of the ones in the panel have identical order of wires. For the wall jacks, check the one the T3200 was installed at originally as that is a known working jack. Then compare the wiring on the other ethernet jacks in the house. Having them mis-wired is a possibility. I had 2 in my place that were wired incorrectly by the builder/electrician.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Get one working, then transfer the knowledge you gain to each of the others, one at a time. Finally pull it all together.

Start by connecting a computer directly to the router. ONT > T3200M > laptop, and get that working.

Then disconnect laptop, moving the cable which had connected to port 5 on your patch panel and take the laptop to the loving room, and so on.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the suggestion

In the panel, all ports had the same order of wires.  I opened up 3 of the wall-jacks (including the one that worked) and all 3 had the identical wiring.  So it "seems" that the wall-jacks are done correctly.

My only thought now, is that looking at the panel, is that maybe they didn't punch down the wires in the actual panel - as the wires to port #4, which is the one that works to our living room, have a nice clean cut, but the other ports aren't quite as nice (attached a picture below port #4 is very tight but #2 is very uneven...and ports1,3,5 are similarly uneven).  So my suspicion is maybe that when the home was built, they weren't punched fully... and then when the telus installer came, he noticed and punched down the wires he needed.

Not sure if either of you two experts can tell from the picture if those are not punched - would love to have a second opinion before going out and buying a punch down tool.

IMG_3617.JPG 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Looks like you've just had your 'Eureka' moment. I fully agree with your assessment, and will add that that is one of the worst implementations of a punch-panel I have ever seen. One of the standards of Ethernet wiring is you un-twist the wires in the cable as little as possible. In the photo you show, not only are the colour pairs untwisted far more than they should be, the sets of pairs are also separated more than needed.

You can get a punch-down tool if you wish, or you can use a small flat blade screwdriver.

Once complete and working, you can claim the Installer Skill Badge!

And don't forget to mark your answer as the solution.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector

It looks like things are not fully punched down - if proper pressure is used with a 110 punchdown tool the cutter on the tool should trim the ends as in port 4.  Port 2 doesn't have properly trimmed ends which makes me think that not enough pressure was used and perhaps the individual wires are not fully inserted into the insulation displacement portion of the port.

Judging by the SAM-D6 part number this is a Suttle patch panel and according to the specs on the Suttle website this panel is T568A only.  So you need to make sure that the wall jacks follow the T568A wiring termination (and not T568B - which will reverse some pairs and can result in some of the symptoms you mention if just one of the two required pairs is reversed).

So yes I would buy a 110 punchdown tool - or carefully press the wires further into the IDC mechanism - you can do this with a small flat blade screwdriver perpendicular to the wire on either side of the IDC u-shape (prongs) - don't press the screwdriver into the u-shape or you might separate the prongs too wide and wreck the punchdown block for that jack.

Highlighted
Coach

I agree with the rest.  It looks poorly punched down.  A good tool will clip the bottom ends at the end of the press so no ends are sticking out.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@CurlingGuy1 You appear to have the same type of panel I do. Mine appears to have a cleaner install so I agree with the others that it doesn't look like the wires were punched in properly.

patchpanel.jpg

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Ambassador

@NFtoBC wrote:

Looks like you've just had your 'Eureka' moment. I fully agree with your assessment, and will add that that is one of the worst implementations of a punch-panel I have ever seen. One of the standards of Ethernet wiring is you un-twist the wires in the cable as little as possible. In the photo you show, not only are the colour pairs untwisted far more than they should be, the sets of pairs are also separated more than needed.

You can get a punch-down tool if you wish, or you can use a small flat blade screwdriver.

Once complete and working, you can claim the Installer Skill Badge!

And don't forget to mark your answer as the solution.

Do NOT use a flat blade screwdriver to punch down a patch panel. You will ruin the blades on the panel. A punch down tool has a notch in the middle of the punch blade, so that the metal blades on the panel don't get bent during the process. I've seen many patch panels become unreliable or stop working entirely due to poor terminations often caused by homeowners using improper tools. Buy a punch down tool. They're not very expensive for a basic model .

Highlighted
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks all - purchased a cheap punch-down tool from Lowe's and all is now working great.  Frustrating that the original contractor skipping a less than 5 minute job of finishing the punch-downs made me spend hours trying to figure out something on the software side, but what can you do!

Really impressed with the number and speed of the solutions here - great community.  Cheers

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Come back and help out any time! There’s always questions needing solutions.
NFtoBC