Computer Sharing

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Advocate

Before I had Telus installed recently I was using Airport extreme and all the computers ( macs) on the network would show up on the finder and files, printers, etc could be shared. Now I can’t figure out how to set this up with the new router T3200. Any ideas would be appreciated, as I have tried searching online and couldn’t find anything. I would just keep using the Airport but it doesn’t seem to support the higher speeds.

Thanks.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You may have to add the Sharing option in your settings /preferences on your Macs.

Is your printer a networked printer or is it USB to one of your Macs?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
You may have to add the Sharing option in your settings /preferences on your Macs.

Is your printer a networked printer or is it USB to one of your Macs?
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you want to simplify it just plug the Airport into port 1 on the T3200 and continue as normal. (That's assuming the Airport has a different IP range than 192.168.1.x). Any of the Actiontec routers that have been used including the T3200 seem to keep local devices from seeing or talking to each other, especially if some are wireless and others hardwired.

As for the Airport not supporting higher speeds, can you elaborate a bit more on that? It should work just fine in most situations.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Highlighted
Advocate

Thanks,

Tried enabling sharing with no luck. The printer is networked plugged into the telus modem. I got it to work by IP access, so that will have to do.

Highlighted
Advocate

The airport is older, 2009, and even hardwired into the Telus modem won't get over about 90 up or download. Thanks

Edit

Looking through the specs it looks like the airport is capable of 1000Mbps, so I don't know why I'm only getting 90.

Highlighted
Advocate

That's the speed of the Ethernet port (10/100/1000), the CPU is slower.