cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Come on telus, bring back your game!! =)

cafekief
Ambassador

Please bring to Surrey, BC 5 feeds and i would like telus allow me to hook up my wireless router, telus suck in that kind of way, lol. HELP!! 😃

9 REPLIES 9

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User
Your own router? Have you not read the advice that was previously given to you on many occasions on what to do to use your own router? It's extremely easy.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cafekief
Ambassador

ya, i did but it screws up my telus optik tv, telus doesn't want us to use our own, they want us to use theirs! 😃

rayrayjj
Rockstar

I have no prod with there actiontec t1200 router,why fix something that's not broken,why do you want your own router??Is there a better router,I use mine for 2.4ghz WiFi for my kids tablets and I went out today to test how far it would extend and I got 10mbps 28 yard away from my house..and in my house I average 45mbps and on my WiFi extender( that is 5ghz) I get in between 80 and 90mbps..More then enough for any house..I think telus rocks and I will never go back to shaw even if they gave me 6 months free..

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

He wants to use an insane $300 router. He's posted about it a few times in the past and it is so horrendously overpowered for any home connection. Most people don't even have the hardware on their devices to take full advantage of that class of router's abilities / power.

@cafekief Telus won't provide technical support or help with your personal, third party, networking hardware. They can't stop you from using your own router. If you can't configure your gateway as the previous instructions have said, you may run into issues, especially if your expensive router can't handle or figure out what to do with multicast traffic and then causes issues with your TVs.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

cafekief
Ambassador

Is their any to hook it up?  I have an xbox one and three capable AC devices

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is a frequent topic that has been posted. A simple search would have given you the answers. Have you ever logged in to your Actiontec before and looked at the settings? There is one specific one for bridging port 1. (Advanced Settings > Port Bridging) Just make sure the only thing on port 1 is your overpowered router because once it's bridged, port 1 cannot access the Actiontec settings at all. Have whatever PC you are using to change the settings on a different port or wirelessly connected to the Actiontec itself. Once bridged anything on your router should be isolated from the rest of the ports on the Actiontec.

If you can't get that to work, contact Linksys support (since you said your router is theirs) and have them help you block multicast on your router itself. That should stop it from effecting the TVs that are connected to the Actiontec itself. Older Linksys devices had a setting to block multicast.

giantbrownguy
Leader

@Nighthawk, I'm curious why you would need to bridge (actually asking, not questioning your advice). I have an Apple Time Capsule that I used to use as my router, and connected by ethernet to the Telus modem. I switched WiFi off on the modem and was able to use the Time Capsule without issue...until the actual router burnt out, but that's another story. Are there certain routers that require it, or is it better for performance?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@giantbrownguy

The Time capsule can be used as you describe without difficulty if you connect one of the three LAN ports to the Telus router, and manage some of the other settings. However, if you use it as a full router, it does Network Address Translation (managing the IP addresses on your network vs those on the internet) if you don't bridge the initial modem, it too does NAT, and things can become very confusing, and in many cases bring things to a screeching halt. Have a look for "double NAT" on the 'net to learn more than I could ever type.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

vishwa
Leader

@cafekief: What @Nighthawk suggested should work well.  You need to bridge it.  I have a similar setup with a Netgear Nighthawk 1900AC router and I have never had any problem.  The best way to do it is to isolate the TVs from the rest of the network.  Since you have a good router, you don't need the wireless in the actiontec--unless you have the wireless tv boxes.

When you bridge, for your home network it is as if the actiontec is just a DSL modem. Assign 192.169.0.1 to your router, and keep all the home network stuff in that subnet and all your tvs will be in the 192.168.1.x subnet and you don't have to worry about any multicast.