Changing IP address

Ali_E
Resident

I have recently had my IP permanently blocked from a website and wish to have my Ip unblocked. I've tried release/renewing multiple times but my IP doesn't change, is there anyway to change it?

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you leave it unattached for long enough it may be released back to the pool and a fresh IP address assigned to you. You may also have success by changing your gateway / router for another.

You might be faster to make amends with the site from which you have been banned.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Most Helpful
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you leave it unattached for long enough it may be released back to the pool and a fresh IP address assigned to you. You may also have success by changing your gateway / router for another.

You might be faster to make amends with the site from which you have been banned.

NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Ali_E
Resident

How long should I unplug my router/release my ip to get a new one?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

At a minimum, you will need to be disconnected at the time the lease is set to renew. Worst case, it may need to be off long enough of the lease to expire AND be assigned to another user's router. It might switch if left off overnight, but could take a few days, depending on how many other users are in need of addresses from the port you are connected to.

NFtoBC
Kolby_G
Ambassador
If you're using your own router, see if you can change the MAC on the WAN interface. That should make it grab a new IP. If you're using the Telus provided router, you will need to do as @NFtoBC said.