cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you send pictures through text while on wifi?

Joosie
Neighbour

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have an iPhone and are using iMessage to another iPhone user, yes! If you use any phone (including an iPhone) and are using plain text messaging, then no. That uses SMS/MMS which works over cellular connections only.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

If you have an iPhone and are using iMessage to another iPhone user, yes! If you use any phone (including an iPhone) and are using plain text messaging, then no. That uses SMS/MMS which works over cellular connections only.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

SmokeJV
Advisor

The only way you can is with the new wifi calling feature Telus rolled out on Monday to iPhone's 6 and above.

If your carrier on the top left says Telus Wi-Fi, then any SMS/MMS will go through Wifi and not the Cellular network.

It only seems to kick in automatically when you are on 1 bar or No Service.

But you can force it by going into Airplane mode and turning on Wifi.

I just tested it this morning, I turned on Airplane mode and Wifi and Telus Wi-Fi was showing, I then sent a MMS message to my brother and it went through.

But remember this is different then iMessage on iPhones.  So if the message is blue, it's a iMessage and it will go through data or wifi depending on what you are connected to, but if the message is Green then it is a SMS/MMS message.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can, of course, email them.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"