cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can i have two isp's?

cafekief
Ambassador

my mom has telus internet 25 and i was think to get shaw 120 to my room though my coaxial cable to wall jack and get this linksys tri band router: http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/linksys-linksys-tri-band-wireless-ac3200-gigabit-router-ea9200-4...

Can i hook up the two to this one

8 REPLIES 8

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can have two ISPs but keep in mind if they have to do anything with wiring in the house they usually charge you for it.

Shaw also recently discontinued internet over 60mbps. There was a huge amount of complaining done by users recently about that. Not to mention the lower bandwidth caps with increased cost of data, and Shaw has much slower upload speeds than Telus.

A $280 router like that is overkill also. If you are the only user for the internet, you will just be wasting your money. You could get similar performance out of a much cheaper AC router, assuming you have an AC wireless card in your computer (which is not common yet)

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Hmm... I wonder why Shaw is throttling their bandwidth to 60Mbps.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Well they removed 250 because of lack of demand and because the potential impact on their network which couldn't handle it. Ironically it was a post by Cafekief on the Shaw forum last summer that yielded that answer. I suspect 100 was removed for the same reason where Shaw doesn't have to upgrade their network as much, or Shaw wanted to get more money out of it's customers. Or both.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@xl 

Likely because most folks are not able to use the bandwidth in a household situation. Bell Aliant provides 150Mbps as their base speed. their users still complain about download speeds, as the content suppliers cannot fill the 'pipe', or the bandwidth coming onto the island cannot meet the total download capacity. Thus the supplier gets complaints from folks who feel they are not getting value frothier money, because the high speed they are paying for does not result in a similar increment in what they are seeing on their desktop.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

cafekief
Ambassador

k, thanks for the information and when will rogers 350 mbps be coming to Fleetwood, Surrey, BC

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Rogers? BC? Likely never. Rogers has no broadband service in BC at all.

cafekief
Ambassador

o, that a stupid move by them, lol, their a huge smartphone company!!

When will 1Gbps coming to telus or shaw, their both down graded right now, so like mid 2016? 😃

julianM
Neighbour

there's Shaw and Telus running in my home and they have no issues