cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can NOT access website with Telus network!!??

Sandro
Just Moved In

I am trying to build my girlfriend a blogging website, but for some reason I can't access it over ANY Telus network (Home Wifi OR Cellular data)!

I used a VPN and my university network, and was able to access it no problem. Any ideas why it won't work over the Telus network??? 

The site is francescadrake.com

30 REPLIES 30

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I see a ‘Connection timed out’ error when entering the IP address. I would have first thought it a DNS issue, but time out suggests a different problem.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

@DavinG wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

Out of curiousity, what is the IP of the shared server your site is hosted on? 

Mine is 107.180.4.153

That's the same IP that the other user who has the problem has their site hosted on. It's like that IP just doesn't exist in DNS. Can't ping it, can't connect to it. Even for me at home I am not using Telus' DNS servers and have the same issue. Tried with two different external DNS servers (OpenDNS and 1.1.1.1). Same result. I'm leaning in the direction of GoDaddy not sending out the DNS info / IP for the domains hosted on that one specific server but that wouldn't explain why non-Telus users can access it. I can think of one other tiny possibility but it's nearly impossible to confirm if it is a cause. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

@Nighthawk wrote:

@DavinG wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

Mine is 107.180.4.153

That's the same IP that the other user who has the problem has their site hosted on. It's like that IP just doesn't exist in DNS. Can't ping it, can't connect to it. Even for me at home I am not using Telus' DNS servers and have the same issue. Tried with two different external DNS servers (OpenDNS and 1.1.1.1). Same result. I'm leaning in the direction of GoDaddy not sending out the DNS info / IP for the domains hosted on that one specific server but that wouldn't explain why non-Telus users can access it. I can think of one other tiny possibility but it's nearly impossible to confirm if it is a cause. 

Interesting. I'm going to try chat with GoDaddy again to pass this information onto them. I already tried getting the IP address changed (TELUS suggested it's an old address that requires updating), but GoDaddy says they can't change it.

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

@DavinG wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

@DavinG wrote:

@Nighthawk wrote:

Mine is 107.180.4.153

Interesting. I'm going to try chat with GoDaddy again to pass this information onto them. I already tried getting the IP address changed (TELUS suggested it's an old address that requires updating), but GoDaddy says they can't change it.

Chatted with GoDaddy twice today. First time they whitelisted the IP address and I had to wait 1 hour to see if it fixed the issue - 2 hours later...not resolved. I got on chat with GoDaddy again and they've escalated this case to the Advanced Team suggesting that this appears to be an issue on their network. They will be contacting me within 24-72 hours.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Have you ran the dns through cloudflare? I had the exact issue with godaddy a long time ago.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

@WestCoasterBC wrote:
Have you ran the dns through cloudflare? I had the exact issue with godaddy a long time ago.

No, I am not familiar with Cloud Share

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

So it's been over 48 hours since October 1, 2018 when Telus promised to email me a response regarding my issue. I was in chat with them again today and they sent the response to some random email address...ugh! GoDaddy's response was again that the issue is with Telus and to contact them to resolve the problem. Frustrated, I decided to sign up with Bluehost and transfer all my website data to Bluehost hosting service. After an afternoon of setup, my website is finally back up and running!

This proves that the issue was originally with GoDaddy, not Telus. I'm also frustrated because my hosting with GoDaddy is on a 3 year basis and they refuse to refund me anything. Nevertheless, I'm happy this issue has finally been resolved.

The issue is with Telus, not GoDaddy. This IP address is explicitly blocked by Telus on the edge router. Tracerouting to the address +1 or -1 reaches the adjacent hosts which indicates it's not a routing issue but all traceroutes to that host are dropped at the first hop indicating an explicit block. Changing providers just changed the IP address so you worked around the problem. If you were able to get past Telus first tier support and get a network ticket opened, the network engineers may have been able to resolve it, but that is exceedingly difficult because Support lack a basic understanding of how the Internet works.

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour
Well it was a frustrating issue nonetheless. I spend well over 50 hours on chat between Telus and godaddy, each blaming one another. I’m happy I am finally able to access my website now.

DavinG
Helpful Neighbour

Let me know if you ever get this resolved. Our website is still not working on Telus networks and Telus and GoDaddy are continuously blaming each other...I think we're going to move our hosting to BlueHost which will hopefully resolve this issue.