Can I label my LAN devices?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

YYCGuy
Connector

T3200M, Dynamic IP plan. I'd like to be able to assign meaningful labels to my devices, rather than just random generic alphanumeric string names for android 1, 2, iPhone 3, 4 etc. Is that even possible?

I obviously can't do it via my dynamic IP, and Telus won't let me have a static IP. So I was thinking...what about by MAC? You would think this should work, since MACs are static. But - disclosure - I'm a networking neophyte and even if it's theoretically possible, do I have sufficient admin rights on the gateway to change it?

Be kind in your replies please... I have no idea if this question is interesting or just moronic.

Accepted Solutions
Most Helpful
GenkiDave
Neighbour

I have the solution, here it is:

1. In the XBox 360:

2. Select System.
3. Select Network Settings.
4. Select Wired Network.
5. Select Configure Network.
6. Select the Additional Settings tab on the upper right-hand side.
7. Highlight Advanced Settings.
8. Select Advanced Settings.
9. Select Host Name
10. Enter the Host Name you desire (XBox 360, My XBox 360, Upstairs/Downstairs XBox 360, etc...)
11. XBox will log out of LIVE.
12. Restart XBox 360.

13. Log back into your router and check the Home Network Devices to see if the name was changed.

View solution in original post

All Replies
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Usually the devices send their names to the network. For instance, change the name of your iPhone in Settings > General > About to something like YYC Guy's iPhone, and see what the network reports.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
YYCGuy
Connector
Hmm... worked for everything (PC, printer, XBox, Chromecast, iOS devices etc) except my two old android phones (Galaxy S4/Lollipop and LG G5/Nougat).

Any further ideas? If not, it must be an android peculiarity and no big deal. It's only two devices and I know which is which.
GenkiDave
Neighbour

I understand that you can do that with wireless devices, for a WiFi connection, but what about cable connected devices, such as a game console?

My XBox 360 is displayed as OptikTV in my router's Home Network device list.

How do I go about changing the name from OptikTV to XBox 360 in my Actiontec T3200M router?

GD

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@GenkiDave wrote:

How do I go about changing the name from OptikTV to XBox 360 in my Actiontec T3200M router?

GD

You change the name the device reports to the network at the device. Your XBox should report its name to the network.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
GenkiDave
Neighbour

I have the solution, here it is:

1. In the XBox 360:

2. Select System.
3. Select Network Settings.
4. Select Wired Network.
5. Select Configure Network.
6. Select the Additional Settings tab on the upper right-hand side.
7. Highlight Advanced Settings.
8. Select Advanced Settings.
9. Select Host Name
10. Enter the Host Name you desire (XBox 360, My XBox 360, Upstairs/Downstairs XBox 360, etc...)
11. XBox will log out of LIVE.
12. Restart XBox 360.

13. Log back into your router and check the Home Network Devices to see if the name was changed.

View solution in original post