cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I get rid of the Alcatel Lucent

Cizuz
Friendly Neighbour

I have a rack mounted switch with SPF ports and adapters coming, trying to remove anything provided from Telus that really doesn't need to be part of my network. Get rid of bulk, get rid of transition points etc. I have 300/300 not that it matters, but have a 10 port netgear POE switch with a couple 10 GBe ports, and like 8 2.5/5 ports as well as an SPF port.

I'm going to be ultimately setting up 3 wifi-mesh so POE was required, and have a NAS/Server and computer so needed the 10 GBe and 2.5/5 ports. 

I shouldn't need a second switch with the 10 ports, i'll be using 8, so I got an unused SPF port to saturate. Can I get rid of the Alcatel or does it do some authentication for Telus?

3 REPLIES 3

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

You can always try it and see if your network works without the Telus ONT.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'd make sure you have a router somewhere so that all of the devices on the switch aren't trying to pull external IP addresses.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Cizuz
Friendly Neighbour

That's the point of the switch. A managed switch allows you to configure ports individually. I would have all ports address the SPF port for any calls outside the network.