cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Boost wifi and 2.4 ghz devices

onovtec
Friendly Neighbour

Hi, I have just setup the Boost wifi, they are working good for the most part. here is my network setup:

actiontec t2200H router modem.

boost in the basement connected to the action tech router

boost on the main floor. which i also connected to an available ethernet jack to help use backhaul ethernet

both my TELUS TV connections are wired into the action tec. (not using wireless for that).

Previously before the boosts, i had the wifi on the action tec off and was using an asus rt68 router for my network. (this is disconnected now)

I have many, many wireless devices in my home.

what i noticed right away is that any of my devices which recommend 2.4 GHZ, like my ihome plugs,  my wyze camera, generic wifi plug, nest protect smoke alarms, tankless water heater wifi, none of them can be connected to boost 😞 i turned on the wifi of the action tec and managed to get them connected to the action tec, but i was hoping to connect everything to the boost and leave the wifi off on the action tec.

looking at the settings of the boost:

visibility = visible

security mode = wpa2

2.4ghz bandwidth = 20 mhz

5 ghz bandwidth = 20/40/80 mhz

2.4 ghz channel = auto

5 ghz channel = auto

wps: enabled

compatibility mode = disabled.

I would appreciate any help on this item.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Not sure if Smart Steering is available on the T2200H, but if so make sure it is turned on. If not an option, check in the Wireless settings to see if you can force selection of the frequency in the MAC address control section of Wireless settings. If all else fails, request a T3200M from Telus.

Note that Wi-Fi devices do not show as connecting by Wi-Fi in the Network Device Table, but rather show as Ethernet connected devices.

I have no problem with a plethora of devices connecting through the Boost device. Depending on the distance from the unit, it may connect at 2.4 or 5 MHz. 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

View solution in original post

38 REPLIES 38

onovtec
Friendly Neighbour
I agree,
i can go look at my settings if you like, but overall for me:
setup the boost as indicated, THEN:
in the router:
turn off smart steering
turn off routers 5G antenna
keep 2.4 Ghz on.
connect the wyse cams to the 2.4 ghz network. same with any other device that is 2.4 ghz, like my plugs, my wink hub.
rest of the devices to the 5 ghz boost network. like laptops, ipads, iphones.
not ideal, but for my tablets, laptops and iphones, they are now blazing fast.

Do you turn back on the steering?

@Powderjockey wrote:
Do you turn back on the steering?

I just turned it back on to see what happens,, everything fine so far, cameras are all working again including the one in my shop, links right up. 

I was going to try and disable the SmartSterring tonight, but I see the wifi would be telusXXXX-2.4-guest and TelusXXXX-5-Guest. Would the passwords stay the same as the main telusXXXX?

I don't know, I don't use the 'guest' thing, know nothing about it nor why the average person would use it..?

@Fisherguy wrote:

I don't know, I don't use the 'guest' thing, know nothing about it nor why the average person would use it..?

The average person would definately use it for a more secure network.

When you have guest that want to connect to your WiFi you give them the password to the Guest network not your regular network. Then you are free to manage the Guest WiFi independently of your regular WiFi.

• regularly change the password of the Guest WiFi without having to update all your devices which are on the regular WiFi.
  • turn off your guest network whenever you like, like when you go on vacation.
  • prevents guests from accessing your home devices because they are not visible on the Guest WiFi.

I guess if some of your friends are on the seedy side the guest account would be a good idea!  😄

@Fisherguy wrote:

I guess if some of your friends are on the seedy side the guest account would be a good idea!  😄

LOL, yeah.

By the same token there's no need for guest WiFi if you don't have any friends at all.  Smiley Wink

I want to get htis steraight. I have the Telus Boost install and according to the Telus serviceman, this is the wifi ssid that I should be connecting to and not the main TelusXXXX. The signal strength is very strong, yet I have device dropping left right and center. To this point, I have the Smartsteering enable. Yet the devices that seem to drop, seem to connect and stay connected better on the main TelusXXXX ssid.

I'm baffled. Telus has replaced two routers in the past year and yet problems still persist. 

Would the actual modem play any part?

I have same thing happen to me with some devices that are connected to the Boost. They drop randomly and then reconnect. But its only some devices. I know its not the router, but it's Boost as i can connect to the modem wifi just fine. 

Telus isn't of much help - the reps don't know much at all.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Short term Wi-Fi drops of a few seconds happened to me routinely with Boost connected to the T3200M. It does not with the new Wi-Fi Hub.

NFtoBC

Which exact WiFi hub is this?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Powderjockey 

This device

NFtoBC

Can we order it from Telus or call and have the T3200 changed out?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

I suggest calling Telus, explaining the issues you currently have, presenting the contents of this thread, and requesting an update.

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Powderjockey 

No, you can set an independent password for the guest SSID, with or without SmartSteering in use.

NFtoBC

@onovtec wrote:
I agree,
i can go look at my settings if you like, but overall for me:
setup the boost as indicated, THEN:
in the router:
turn off smart steering
turn off routers 5G antenna
keep 2.4 Ghz on.
connect the wyze cams to the 2.4 ghz network. same with any other device that is 2.4 ghz, like my plugs, my wink hub.
rest of the devices to the 5 ghz boost network. like laptops, ipads, iphones.
not ideal, but for my tablets, laptops and iphones, they are now blazing fast.

Thanks.
Not sure why but it looks like the 2.4G of our 3200M stopped working last night, that's why I lost all my cameras.  That's also why I couldn't re-link them , my 2.4G wasn't working. 
I  shut down the boosters, went into the settings and shut off the 'smart steering', re-linked the cameras then fired up the boosters again, so far everything's working fine.

Still bothers me the boosters don't work with my cameras, the camera in my shop  which is about 100' from my house could use a little help connecting.

One thing though, not sure my 6000Q wifi extener is working now, I can't seem to log into it using the IP address anymore, something to do with disabling 'smart steering' on my modem?  This would explain why my camera in the shop is not always connecting now.