Bluesky vs Optik - looking to be convinced

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

Hi,

I'm currently a Shaw Gateway subscriber (including internet and phone), it's costing me about $200 per month to cover 4 TVs.

I'm looking at replacing this with either Shaw Bluesky or Telus Optik.  From what I can tell, there are some pros and cons to each, some people love Bluesky, others Optik.  Some are disappointed when they switch to either from the other.  All-in-all, it seems that people prefer Bluesky generally but also prefer the multitude of Optik HD channels and the 4K PVR.  Probably lots of other pros/cons could be mentioned.

So I'm wondering what others think of these two services?

Most Helpful
Phantom1975
Connector

Take it for what it's worth I was a shaw customer for over 15 years, a blue sky customer for the last part of that and a shaw cable employee .. I prefer telus .. It's true as you said there are pros and cons to both services / systems but really the blue sky box is just a advertising ploy.. Oh I can talk to my remote  ?!?!   That's exciting for about a week if that .. Once you get beyond that you will see that for the most part everything the shaw box can do the telus box can do as well , and often faster or better 

The one thing that the Blue sky box does do well is Netflix integration if that is important to you ,aswell as Crave TV .. What I mean there is all your searches work on all services , TV , Netflix and Crave .. That's not the case (At least not that I have discovered ) With the Telus equipment and I have a 4 k pvr 

my two cents

Highlighted
buckycat
Advocate

I switched from Shaw last June from a Gateway system and haven't looked back. The difference in speed, changing channels etc. is night and day. Any time that I've had to contact Telus the customer service has been great.

Exhile
Ambassador

4K is limited to these channels:

Capture.JPG

Here's the cost of the Wireless TV receivers that may cover your 4 TVs:

Capture.JPG

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour
Thank you that's exactly the kind of feedback I was hoping for.

The voice feature I'm sure I'll never use more than once but my kids might think it's cool. The Netflix integration is one of the benefits I'm looking for but it's not essential.
buckycat
Advocate

Telus also has way more HD.

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

Does 4K make any difference if I don't have a 4K TV?

Exhile
Ambassador

You won't be able to see the details of 4K if you use a regular HDTV. The HDMI plugs are the same so I guess you could plug a HDTV to a 4K terminal. It kind of defeats the purpose though.

Here are some other threads that are related to you situation:

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/Optik-4K-receivers/m-p/79169

https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/4K-PVR-only-allows-3HD-streams/m-p/68499

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks for the links.

Without a 4K TV, then there's no point in getting the 4K PVR?

Exhile
Ambassador

I'm uncertain if the technician will install a 4K PVR if you don't have a 4K TV. Usually the customer purchases a new 4K TV then upgrades the HD PVR afterwards.

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

So I guess it's the HD PVR I want then.  Other than 4K, what's the difference?

Exhile
Ambassador

The response time when going through the guide and channel listings is much faster on the 4K PVR than the HD PVR. I think there was a dedicated channel to watch YouTube videos with the 4K receivers whereas the HD receivers you can't.

You're not missing much if you go HD instead of 4K since the available 4K content is limited to 5 channels.

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks.  Currently the youtube channel doesn't interest me much (might later, especially youtube TV eventually) but I do want to use the netflix channel.  Is that available on the HD PVR?

ThePopper
Advocate

More 4K than Shaw has!  Shaw has ZERO !

Telus' 4K PVR is lightning fast and MOST channels are HD - Shaw has no where near the amount of HD channels.

Phantom1975
Connector
Not really accurate that shaw has 0 but yes Telus has many more
ThePopper
Advocate
Would love to hear back from you as to which 4K channels Shaw has!
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone 7
Bob
Sticki17
Connector

Might be a little late but for me they installed the 4K PVR even though I don't have a 4K TV.

Exhile
Ambassador

@Sticki17wrote:

Might be a little late but for me they installed the 4K PVR even though I don't have a 4K TV.

Are you a new Telus customer or did you phone customer service to get a technician to install the 4K PVR?

ReillyWood
Friendly Neighbour

Thanks.  Not too late, I haven't decided as yet (or alternatively, for now I've decided not to switch from Shaw Gateway until I have more confidence in the best answer).

Do you have HD TVs?  Can you watch 4K channels on them?  How's the picture quality?