Best Aftermarket Router

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

giantbrownguy
Ambassador

Given this thread (https://forum.telus.com/t5/Internet-TV-Home-Phone/2-4G-Dropping-almost-every-day-on-Actiontec-3200/m...) and the multitude of issues with the 3200, what's the consensus on most reliable router? I used to be a Linksys guy back in the day, but gave up when they were bought by Cisco and I started having reliability issues with the last one I bought. The 3200 is hot garbage. I'm running an iPad, two iPhones, and one PC by wifi, plus a few wired devices. 

Highlighted
Dark_Knight
Rockstar

@giantbrownguy I use the TP Link AC3150. It's very reliable and works well with my 150mbps fibre connection.

It's a bit pricy, but there is always something like Google WiFi. It's stupid easy to setup and reviews say it's reliable. Coincidentally, it's also manufactured by TP Link. Smiley Happy

iPhone power user
Community Power User
Community Power User

D-link DIR-842 here. No issues.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Community Power User
Community Power User
TP-Link Touch P5 works great, never have an issue. Plus highly configurable.

http://www.tp-link.com/us/products/details/cat-5506_Touch-P5.html

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
giantbrownguy
Ambassador
Thanks guys. I'm not familiar with TP-Link...I'm guessing by your endorsement is it's a fairly good brand. Have they been around a long time? Any reliability issues? And any comment on the usability of the configuration tools (i.e., web-based config), based on ease of use?

mentioned the Google Wifi. Have any of you (or anyone else out there) had any experience with mesh networks and what the experience was versus a conventional router?
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've used TP-link switches a number times in the past, and currently have two in my network. I have also used their routers as well. No issues with their use.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
JTL
Advocate

x86 routing platform (pfSense, VyOS, etc)

Mikrotik (hardware to handle >300mbps WAN is expensive)

Ubiquiti EdgeRouter (same as Mikrotik)

I personally use pfSense on a old desktop with a quad port NIC and a managed Mikrotik switch.