Availability of High speed internet 1200 block Johnson Rd. Penticton?

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Neighbour

When will Optik TV or at least higher speed internet be available on 1200 block of Johnson Rd. in Penticton, BC?

Community Power User
Community Power User

It'll depend how close the central office, DSLAM or RDAC are to that area. If you're just on the edge of the service area and new hardware would be required to get faster service, you will likely not see an upgrade for a while. Also with that  address being on the edge of Penticton, it doesn't improve the odds.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Neighbour

RDAC? I understand all the rest but you would think that after 40 years of being at the same address one would be able to get better than 1.2 kb/s. My neighbors less than 2 blocks away can get Optik TV and any internet speed they want. Maybe it's time to look at Shaw.

Community Power User
Community Power User

1.2kb/s? You must be on a 14.4 dialup modem. I used to get up to 7k/s on 56k dialup.

RDAC is one of those massive green boxes you'll see every now and then on the side of the road. It's a major distribution point. One side of a street could be serviced by one of them but if you're on the edge of that node, your side of the street could be running off an entirely separate one.

The length of time living at an address is irrelevant. The demand in an area and available cash to invest in an upgrade is a whole other issue. Add on top of that the location itself. If the location is further away from existing infrastructure, that can lead to more delays as the further away you are, the more it'll cost to install the needed infrastructure to provide the service. Especially if the lines are buried in that area.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Neighbour

Sorry, my bad.........1.2 mb/s at best. RDAC is about 1000 ft. from my house and the fiber optic cable that feeds  it runs right by my house. (I saw them install it). All my services are aerial. Sorry, but I don't buy the demand and cost argument when little communities like Willowbrook (in between Oliver and OK Falls) got high speed internet about 12 years ago and the total customer base is about 100 or less. The reason I am posting on here is to try and bring it to the attention of Telus as my efforts so far have fallen on deaf ears.

Community Power User
Community Power User
I've mentioned it before on the forums but posting it here will have zero effect. Telus management doesn't come here. If you are in a small town, get as many local people to start asking Telus for high speed or upgrades. The better way is to get the local town council and chamber of commerce involved as well. The more noise you make locally and the bigger the demand appears, the more likely you will get upgrades much sooner. It's happened a number of times in BC already. The upgrades won't happen over night but typically get much higher priority.

Willowbrook may have a fiber line running through it (right along highway 97) but the hardware in that area may still be the old ADSL type rather than the new VDSL2 type. Many smaller or remote communities in BC are still running on the old hardware as the cost to upgrade can be easily six figures. Some still on the old fiber lines with limited capacity.