Audio sometimes cuts out when changing channels.

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Resident

I recently installed a theater for someone and we're having issues with the audio only on Telus TV.  The problem is when you change channels, the audio will sometimes cut out.  You can get the audio back by changing the sound modes on the receiver from dobly digital, to something else, and then back to dolby digital.  I tried audio via HDMI, audio via Toslink, and changed the Telus TV box, yet the problem still persists.  I'll most likely exchange the receiver next, but this issue appears to only happen on Telus TV, not AppleTV or any other sources hooked up to the receiver.  And it only happens when you change channels, it never just randomly stops working.  The receiver is a Denon X2200 with the latest firmware.  Anyone ever experience anything similar?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Have you double checked if the issue is with the Telus PVR by directly connecting it to the TV?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Highlighted
Resident

The Telus TV box is hooked up to a projector that has no speakers built in.

Since making this thread I have diagnosed the problem.  

There is a problem with new Denon receivers, X2200W for sure, maybe other models too.  When you are watching any cable channel that is outputting audio in surround sound, then switch to a channel that outputs audio in 2 channel stereo, if the Denon is set to play audio in Dolby Surround the audio will cut out.  The problem does not happen when going from a 2 channel stereo channel to a 5.1 surround channel.  It also does not happen if the audio is set to output in 2 channel stereo in the Denon. This only happens when the Denon is set to Dolby Surround, and you go from a surround channel to a stereo channel.  

The current solution is to either change HDMI inputs on the Denon to another source, then back again.  Or to cycle through audio modes until you get back to Dolby Surround.

I have emailed Denon about this and am waiting for a reply, or firmware update.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Thanks for sharing the results of your troubleshooting!

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"