Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone seen this? Is this a scam?

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

Screenshot (1).png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi @DebReynolds The website shown here is a phishing / scam website. They are often created with fake information, and no real contact information.

Unless you received an email from this scam website that provides you with details about your order, and contact information, there is nothing you can really do to contact them.

Solution

• Call your credit card provider, ask to speak to their fraud department, and tell them what happened "You provided your credit card information on a phishing / scam website and need to prevent any unauthorized transactions, and cancel the credit card to prevent ant future fraud use".   

• Call Equfax 1-800-465-7166 to put a fraud alert on your credit to ensure no further damage can be done. Click Here to learn more.

• Do your best to remember all the information you may have provided on this phishing website, and please reply with what info was shared. Don't actually specify the details, rather only share the category of information... example: I shared my email address, phone number, account number, SIN number, drivers licence number, etc. Once you provide this information, I can assist you with additional steps to take to ensure minimal to no damaging effects occur. 

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square:If you found this helpful, let others know by clicking the ❤️ Like button.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Looks like a scam to me.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

it just pop out of nowhere. do you think I have a virus or something?

xray
Hero

Yes it's a scam.

If you follow through (WHICH YOU SHOULDN'T DO) it will likely gather a bunch of information from you then ask you to pay a fee to collect your prize.

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

do you think I have a virus or something? I just turned on my browser, did nothing and it popped out like after 10 seconds.

If you didn't click on anything on that site you should be okay. How did you end up on the CA-WIN in the first place? It's a new domain that was just created in July so it doesn't look like a legit business.

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

idk I just turn on my browser and it popped out after 10 seconds

@omg2321 wrote:

idk I just turn on my browser and it popped out after 10 seconds

Close the tab then close the browser. Reopen the browser and if it goes to that site again then it's likely that your browser homepage is now set to that site. This can happen if you visit a scam site that tricks you into setting itself as your browser homepage. If this is the case then go to your Edge settings and change it to open a valid website or a blank tab.

I get these too, it's a scam, just don't  click on it

If you encounter suspicious pop-ups like this in the future it's alwasy safer to close the tab for the site rather than clicking on the pop-up, even if the pop-up shows a CLOSE button. The button on the pop-up may not actually do what the label says. Typically these kinds of scam pop-ups will show some dire message about your computer having a virus and you need to click on the link to get rid of it.

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

But this site popped out as a new tab in my browser. so is it safe to just close my browser

omg2321
Friendly Neighbour

this thing popping up doesn't mean I have a virus right?

wolf927
Friendly Neighbour

When I saw these, I was excited.  But in following the link, lo and behold it is pop-up advertising.  A scam?  I could not say, but probably one of those things, that if it sounds to good to be true - it is.  Anyway - nothing to do with any Telus offer.

Raggels
Just Moved In

Yes, I came across it in an advert, shown as from Telus, on The Weather Network app. I believe Telus should take this up with The Weather Network as it is obviously a scam been done under the Telus banner.

DebReynolds
Just Moved In
If anyone gets this can you copy down the phone number to call to cancel? It’s in the next pages inside this communication. I fell for it. You have 10 days to cancel and it’s not Telus. Big mistake. Now I can’t contact them. I need the phone number so I can call and cancel.

Hi @DebReynolds The website shown here is a phishing / scam website. They are often created with fake information, and no real contact information.

Unless you received an email from this scam website that provides you with details about your order, and contact information, there is nothing you can really do to contact them.

Solution

• Call your credit card provider, ask to speak to their fraud department, and tell them what happened "You provided your credit card information on a phishing / scam website and need to prevent any unauthorized transactions, and cancel the credit card to prevent ant future fraud use".   

• Call Equfax 1-800-465-7166 to put a fraud alert on your credit to ensure no further damage can be done. Click Here to learn more.

• Do your best to remember all the information you may have provided on this phishing website, and please reply with what info was shared. Don't actually specify the details, rather only share the category of information... example: I shared my email address, phone number, account number, SIN number, drivers licence number, etc. Once you provide this information, I can assist you with additional steps to take to ensure minimal to no damaging effects occur. 

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square:If you found this helpful, let others know by clicking the ❤️ Like button.

@BrandonT  Pop up scams showing up on google news site in last week. Looks good apple watch etc etc  Do not enter..... Polecat

BrandonT
TELUS Team Member
TELUS Team Member

Hi @polecat , Thanks for sharing I will report this.

How To Report Fraud/Scams/Phishing Attacks

If anyone notices fraudulent/scam/phishing websites, emails, text messages, in any form, please Click Here to report them. TELUS takes this very seriously and with your help, we can make the internet a safer place for everyone. 

TELUS will only share electronic promotions using...

• The Telus.com website
    Make sure the website includes: Telus.com

• Over the phone
    When in doubt: Request the person calling to leave a note on file and Live Chat or call TELUS back to confirm the note.

• Personalized emails
    Confirm the sender of the email ends in @Telus.com, and make sure any links in the email go to Telus.com

• Personalized Text messages
    Confirm that the link in the text message goes to Telus.com
  • The MyTELUS App.

When in doubt, visit our website or your MyTELUS App, and or contact us using live chat, or over the phone. 

You can also customize your notification preferences though the MyTELUS App to only receive promotions using specific methods.

As a proactive approach, there are a few things we can all do to minimize the chances of encountering these scams.

• Disable website notifications in Google Chrome Click Here
    This is becoming more and more of an issue, and makes it harder to leave harmful websites.

• Avoid streaming music and or videos from unknown websites, or websites full of advertisements.
    Stick with the popular streaming services such as: TELUS On Demand, Netflix, Amazon Prime, YouTube.

• Avoid downloading content from unknown websites, or websites full of advertisements.
    Almost everything free comes with a price...your security, and or advertisements.

• When in doubt, use your best judgment, don't share your personal information online if you do not trust the website.

I hope that helps 🙂

TELUS Employee & Neighbourhood Volunteer :black_small_square: Found this post helpful? Let others know by clicking [❤️ Like] or [Accepted Solution].