cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone have a secondary router that can do this?

Zman2k2
Ambassador

I've been reading on forums, as I'm excited to get Optik TV at my place.  On one forum, a guy claims to have replaced the Telus router, with his personal one.  I'm just wondering if this is possible, because one less box on the office desk would be great.

http:// http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/187-telus-iptv-also-known-optik-tv/240329-successfully-repla...

11 REPLIES 11

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Just in case you were not aware, Telus will NOT offer any support for problems you have related to your own router. That includes wireless, latency / speed, or TV. If you run into problems, for troubleshooting they will ask you to put back in the Telus supplied gateway.

Questions for you.

1. Do you have any specific reason why you want to use your own router? May help in determining if there is a better alternative.
  2. Are you even half as experienced as the user listed in that forum post? If no, just walk away.
  3. Have you ever installed custom firmware on a router before? (aka do you care if you void the warranty and break it)
  4. Do you have fiber or is your connection over the phone line/VDSL? You will need fiber to even attempt anything related to that forum post.
  5. Do you know what multicast is? If no, don't try anything you saw on that forum post. You'll mess up your TV service.
  6. See question 1 again.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Zman2k2
Ambassador

1. Yes.  I need a router with USB, and from what I'm told, the Actiontec doesn't have an active one.

2. I've set up networks with multicast before, just for numerous streams.

3. Don't need any custom firmware, as my router has all the funtions listed in the post.

4. Yes, my house will be fiber.

5. Again, I've set up multicast before, for numerous streams on different LAN ports.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Last I heard the USB port on the newer generation of the Actiontecs is working. I'd say try it first and then explore using a different router if for some reason it isn't.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

Zman2k2
Ambassador

That must be fairly new then.  I called Telus a week ago, and was told it's not active.  I'll try the Actiontec first, and see what happens.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Above is the result of connecting a USB drive to the USB port of my T1200H, and subsequently rebooting.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

This is the result in plugging a USB 3.0 1TB HD into mine. Without restarting. If your flash drive is NTFS formatted, it will likely not appear. I found that when enabling Samba on the Actiontec, whatever username you choose will be the name of the data folder on the attached storage. Any existing content on the drive will not be visible unless inside that one folder.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Nighthawk

So Samba must be enabled as well?  Thanks!

(Neither of the USB drives I connected last night were FAT)

OK, Got it!

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

Zman2k2
Ambassador

@Nighthawk

How is your drive formatted?  FAT32, exFAT, or, when turning on Samba, does NTFS work?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Neither NTFS nor Mac OS Extended formatted  disks were recognized. I did get a FAT32 flash drive recognized.

NFtoBC

Zman2k2
Ambassador

@NFtoBC

Thanks.  I'll look into converting my storage device to FAT32, and see if the Actiontec will work for me without having to mess with my own router.