cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amahi home server

valiaig
Advocate

Anyone has any clue on how to setup Amahi home server with Telus wireless router? Can you be kind to share work arounds please? Telus Techs are welcome to share opinions. If you had luck to make it work. 

My network setup 

Fancy but limited Actiontec router - act like DHCP and wireless access point for static OpticTV boxes. 

Airport Extreme dual-bound ac Wireless router - Acts like Wireless access point in bridge mode 

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Local DNS? That's not really a feature of normal routers but a server itself and for a home network should be completely unnecessary. Are you trying to set it up so you can access your content from outside the house?

It would be nice if their website was up right now. It almost sounds like a software line NAS / Kodi / XBMC setup. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

A few more details of what you are trying to do, and the problems you are seeing would help us respond. 

Any home servers I have used were simply set up as a static IP with an address below the DHCP assignment range. The Actiontech  assigns them the unique IP address and all works fine from there. I have not been using these as a cloud accessible server.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've got all my stuff running on my non-bridged router connected to the Actiontec. Works for me.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

valiaig
Advocate

@NFtoBC

As you may be aware Amahi requires local DNS setup. I have not managed to do so with Telus router. I haven't found local DNS setup within it's settings. I know for a fact that it is not Airport extreme, since it is in bridge mode.  However, I tried to make it with static IP instead of  local DNS... Server start to scream like crazy and showoff his madness  

I have played with TELUS router around to a point where my home  network failed including Optic TV... Good thing I am trained CCNA and have photographic and numeric memory.. Managed to put everything as it was before by hand.  and press reset button on router to let it do it's work to rest itself. I don't know maybe I am missing something that's why I asking for help here. If anyone wishes to do experiment and share their experiences  and step by step guide... You're more than welcome.

valiaig
Advocate

@Nighthawk

I guess you don't use Airport Extreme? You see my only solution is make it work with brigade mode... and trough Telus Modem sine it has admin panel . As for to switch completely to Telus router as Wireless access point, I won't do that. Here is why:

Actiontec wireless capabilities way worse then Apple router has. Plus in my neighbourhood there is a lot of Telus customers interference is high. Airport extreme  helps to battlele this without resets or manual channel configuration. plus it's job well at   network preforrmance on wireless side of thing I have'n had any signal drops since I purchased device. and Not to mention that 2,4 gas antenna gives me not 30 mbit speed on the internet trough quires but 50-70 mbit and 5 ghz 90-127.. even tech told me if my network infrastructure is strong and no interface. I might achieve speeds of of 30 mbit 2.4 and 90 to 120+ if I am lucky 🙂 But once he went to my computer room he was surprised actually to see that I have way above his estimation speed on 2.4. However I was surprised to see on 2.4 70  mbit speed we looked at each other like we saw an alien. Since I know that 50 is max of  what 2.4 frequency may handle. He was said after... Now I know what you pay for when  purchasing iDevices 🙂

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Local DNS? That's not really a feature of normal routers but a server itself and for a home network should be completely unnecessary. Are you trying to set it up so you can access your content from outside the house?

It would be nice if their website was up right now. It almost sounds like a software line NAS / Kodi / XBMC setup. 

View solution in original post