cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

All 2.4GHZ Devices Unable to Connect - Not Assigned an I.P. Address

PhilBilly
Neighbour

So I just got Pure Fibre 150 about two weeks ago.  Everything was going well for about 5 days then all of a sudden all of my 2.4GHZ devices could connect to the wireless router (T3200) but not to the internet (just said saved secure local only).  Contacted Telus and told me to reset the modem.  This temp fixes problem but then it happens like 10 mins later again.  Did the reset like 5 times and never fixed it.  Telus tech attended my home and we ended up switching the modem out for a new T3200.  All was good until about 5 days later and now my 2.4GHZ laptop and phone are connecting the the wireless router but not connecting to the internet and are not being assigned an I.P. address.  The moment any other 2.4GHZ device is disconnected and then re-connected it will not be able to connect to the internet.  The 5GHZ network is working absolutely fine - 5GHZ devices cannot connect to the 2.4GHZ internet however.  The router is still factory set in terms of DCHP and not static I.P.  Possibly an I.P. address conflict?

I also have a Netgear EX6200 wireless extender linked up to the router.  Any 2.4GHZ devcies that try to connect to it now that have been disconnected from the network and will coonect to the network but not be assigned an I.P. address and will not be able to access the internet.  Of note: When setting up the extender the 2.4GHZ was detected right away.  However when attempting to set up the 5GHZ the extender could not pick up the signal.  The only way to pick up the signal was to change the frequency of the 5GHZ channel to 40MHZ from 80MHZ and set the channel to a unique one such as 149.  

I am really confused why the 2.4GHZ network is not working and the devices are not being assigned I.P. addresses or connecting to the internet but are connecting the the wireless network.  We have a high number of devices in the house (tablets, smart TV's , phones, but no cable) maybe the T3200 cannot keep up with all of the traffic / devices?  Or maybe the extender is messing it up and I need to use the Telus access point instead?  Any insight into this problem is greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the long winded post. Thanks very much.

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Your gateway should be issuing IP addresses, whether connected to the Internet or not. I suggest a device reset, and see if that corrects things, else more investigation needs to occur before a second Tech Assessment occurs.

Also, how many devices are connecting to your Wi-Fi?

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

We have about 15 devices in our home that could in theory be hooked up to the wifi at the same time but that is never the case.  I figure about 7 devices hooked up at the same time.  Factory reset will fix the problem temporarily but then it reverts back to the same problem.  I think it has something to do with the non-telus netgear EX6200 wifi range extender that we have hooked up.  I have spoken with telus and requested an access point be installed (I will then remove my non Telus wifi extender) and see if that fixes the problem.  The gateway is the white Nokia box right?  I am not sure how to reset that...is there a button or do I just unplug is and then plug it in again after a few minutes?  Thanks for the response.

When I said factory reset will fix the problem temporarily I meant a factory reset of the router.  I now see that you meant the Gateway system.  Can you please let me know how to factory reset the Gateway?  Thanks.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

This article addresses the reset I was speaking of.

Gateway, router and modem are often used interchangeably. Technically a  modem works between phone lines and your network, a router on a network only, and a gateway contains both a modem and a router.

NFtoBC

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@PhilBilly wrote:

We have about 15 devices in our home that could in theory be hooked up to the wifi at the same time but that is never the case. 

That small number should not be an issue, even if all are simultaneously connected.

Factory reset will fix the problem temporarily but then it reverts back to the same problem.  I think it has something to do with the non-telus netgear EX6200 wifi range extender that we have hooked up. 

What happens if you do not use the EX6200?  I have a secondary router for all my internal network connected to Port 1 on the gateway. TV runs from the Actiontec.  I have no problems with my network, though I did when using the T3200M only.

The gateway is the white Nokia box right?  I am not sure how to reset that...is there a button or do I just unplug is and then plug it in again after a few minutes?  

The white box is an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that converts the optical signal on the Fibre Optic to Ethernet signal. No real way to reset it.

NFtoBC