cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a HD Wireless box with Netgear Nighthawk

JLacroix
Neighbour

Ok heres the scenario.  I have a 1200 telus modem which is bridged to a Netgear Nighthawk.  I ordered a wireless HD box for a self install.  I explained my setup and was told I could do it maybe.  I don't use the telus access point as my nighthawk more than covers my 3000 sqft 2 story house (they are awesome).  There is no WPS button on the 1200, and i tried to plug the access point into the telus router but the wireless box wouldn't connect (I'm assuming because its bridged).  What is my next course of action?

I first was going to get a 4k box, but was told I had to switch to a 4k PVR and the install was going to cost me $100 which I wasn't cool with.  Shouldn't I be upgraded to the 3200 router?  And if thats the case am I billed $100 for that? and if not then why am i charged for a 4k PVR upgrade.  I'm getting mixed messages from other Telus customers saying they are not billed for the 4k box.

Bottom line, what I'm looking for is a 4k box to be installed in my new TV room, which has a network wire right at the TV location.  Since I didn't want to pay the $100 I went the wireless router which is causing an issue.

Please help.

Jamie 

5 REPLIES 5

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Can you connect the set top box by Ethernet to Actiontec ports 2, 3, or 4?

Else, using the Access Point connected to  Actiontec ports 2, 3, or 4 you should be able to use the WPS  on the AP, which has the necessary multicast capabilities and 5 MHz band to connect to the set top box.

The Actiontec 1200 and Telus matched Access Point (VEN501) should provide you with TV viewing.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

A wireless box can be used wired?  I was not told this.  I was told a Tech had to come out to install a wired box. I will try this and let you know.  Thanks

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
The wireless boxes can be used either hardwired or via wifi. Just power cycle the box, once you plug in your network cable and will be good to go.

Connecting a wired connection to either ports 3 or 4 on the actionet 1200 was unsuccessful.  The wireless access point i have is the b6000q, not the model you listed.  I guess its a tech support chat now.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Sounds as though your account has not been provisioned for Optik.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"