A la carte Dec 1st

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

canucks4life
Ambassador

Seems pretty quiet on this front...anyone care to wager how much pick & pay will cost upon launch? I'm betting on $10 per channel 😛

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/program/alacarte.htm

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@canucks4life wrote:

Seems pretty quiet on this front...anyone care to wager how much pick & pay will cost upon launch? I'm betting on $10 per channel 😛

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/television/program/alacarte.htm

For some sports and specialty channels you may not be far off. I expect some of the more common OTA channels to be offered at far lower prices, or in cheap 'fill your basket' bundles.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Skiddy
Advocate

My advice - don't hold your breath. Given the "basic" offering which is pretty much more than the Essentials package, pick and pay might be better named as gouging and plundering with the death of a thousand cuts. I fully understand the business needs of the BDUs, but we do need a separation of BDU and BU, like church and state. TELUS is (I think) the only major player in this game that does not have a vested interest in a BU. We've quit watching Global News as I am tired of those darn Shaw-bots dancing around the screen. Very distracting - which is of course the intent. Will have to wait and see what the Commission rubber stamps this time.  

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I'd never pay $10 a channel. Most channels are cramming so many commercials in that they're taking up 1/3 of every hour in some cases. I'll stick with Netflix and Crunchyroll which are worth the $10/mo and have so much more content.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
I really love the pop over ads that take up an 1/8 of the screen during shows. More advertising, makes me not want to purchase what they're selling.

$3 a channel is already pushing it, in terms of value. The CRTC just created another mess, that in the end costs the consumers more.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@WestCoasterBC wrote:
 The CRTC just created another mess, that in the end costs the consumers more.

@WestCoasterBC 

But, but, but....... we get more choice! 

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Skiddy
Advocate

Choice - any colour you want as long as it is black kinda choice. The Commision has always had the authority to make meaningful change, it's political masters have neutralized it. As we all move from "cable" to "streaming" the landscape will change. The issue for Canadians is the BDUs know this and will raise Internet pricing to the extent they will not care when you cut the cord. Proof off this is the ridiculous high price of the low speed internet packages, if you do not stream video, the lowest speed offered is still 10 fold more than you need. I'd argue that uncapped super high speed is not the money maker for the companies, the low speed stuff with a cable subscription is where the money is. Give me a 5mb service with a 50Gb cap for $25/month and I'll stay a cable client.