9241 satellite PVR

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Why does Telus continue to give these crappy boxes to their customers?  Went through 2 in my first install in the spring, now this ones is shot too, programs recorded on the PVR skip and are pix-elated so bad you can't watch it. 
They keep rehabbing these crappy 10 year old things and getting putting them back in service only to have nothing but problems for the customer.  There is 9400 PVR's available but TELUS is too cheap too supply them; much more important to provide GPON to the city folk so they can get their 4k TV and 150meg DSL I guess, people in small town BC get screwed again... 

Community Power User
Community Power User
Telus satellite is just rebranded Bell satellite service. While there is newer hardware available (bell customers). Bell keeps the Smart card (S) and Receiver (R) numbers separate. They can only be activated on their respective branded platforms.

It’s the same reason you can’t use Telus branded boxes on Bell vice versa. There is really no limitation why it couldn’t work. Bell just won’t allow it. The hardware is the same Dish/Bell/Telus only changed with software/firmware.

Sooner or later newer hardware will have to be allowed. Not sure on the agreement between parties though.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Ambassador

Yes, I know TELUS satellite is re-branded BELL,  we've been down this road before!!

Not sure what you're getting at with the rest of your post, I know there is TELUS equipment and BELL equipment that are not interchangeable,  that has NOTHING to do with my question.

TELUS can  (and has in the past)  offered the 9400 which is smaller, quieter and more reliable than the antiquated 9241's they keep reusing, it would be better off for the customers, the service techs, better for everyone if they'd just release the 9400's and threw the 9241's in the recycling bin.

(No I won't hit the like button)

Highlighted
Ambassador

Our 9241 screwed up, complained to a sup, when the I&R guy came out to work on our 15meg service which had dropped to 3meg he also brought out a (refurbished) 9400. 

The (Telus unionized. not contractors) field techs that have been out working on our services when we moved in have been great, the serv-reps and "escalation supervisors" I've dealt with leave a lot to be desired. 

My incoming email has been down for 2 days, as well as my wife's and 2 sons, wonder how long this will take...