4k tv wont run 1080 P optik tv

Helpful Neighbour
Recently purchased a 4k Tv and for some reason i cant set my optik tv box to 1080 p. It can go on 1080 i but the quality isnt that good compared to P i currently have it on 720 P. Also netflix on the tv using the netflix app is at like 240 p its so bad and i went through my netflix settings and its set on Auto. So what can i do like im fine not watching 4k content but i cant even get 1080 p the agent said 4k tvs are too powerul to run 1080p but how come i can run 720 p high definition. Any help would be nice
Helpful Neighbour
Forgot to add its the netflix app ON the telus box
Helpful Neighbour
Also the tv is a 60 inch Sharp 4k UHD smart tv
Community Power User
Community Power User
What optik tv receiver are you using? Did you get the new Telus 4K PVR?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Helpful Neighbour
No its not a 4k box cause then i have to upgrade my internet so rather not do that right now
Community Power User
Community Power User

I ask what model receiver you have as the older ones could only do 1080i. Not sure why the agent said 4k can't do 1080P it supports all the various resolutions. But if you don't have the proper hardware you won't display 1080p.

If your TV has built in APPS like netflix you'd be best to use them for now till you get the proper 4K receiver so you can get netflix in the proper resolutions.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Helpful Neighbour
Guess i will have to wait til i get a 4k receiver.... just makes no sense how i cant run 1080 p on the receiver
Community Power User
Community Power User
Older model optiktv receivers displayed a max of 1080i. Newer receivers were capable of 1080P. Again you still never stated what model receiver you have but would assume an older model if 1080i is the max resolution choice in your menu.

Helpful Neighbour
So i should just ask telus for one that can rub 1080 P
Community Power User
Community Power User
If you plan on getting a 4K PVR I suggest that's the one you upgrade to. When you switch PVRs you will lose ALL recordings. Only your scheduled recording (shows you want to record information) is transferred over.

Ambassador

So my dad's Toshiba 4k tv was displaying can't display hdcp thing and I phoned tech support and the guy ask his supervisor what's wrong,  they said I need a hdmi 2.0 cord not the one the technician provides... 1.4 only can get 1080p out on the original need a 2.0 for 4k.  I don't understand telus,  lol 😛

Community Power User
Community Power User

@kikithecafekief101 HDMI 1.4 has support for 4K as well but only for certain configurations. I already told you all this and about HDMI 2.0 in the post you made a few days ago. You should have been able to identify the cable without even calling tech support just by simply looking at it. It's printed on the side of the cable. You were also advised that your father needs to check with his TV manufacturer for software updates since his TV was incapable of running 1080p at all. You also indicated he did NOT have a 4K box as well.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂