4k pvr shuts off on its own

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Rickjen27
Neighbour

Happened twice tonite about 3 hours apart. Watching netflix then suddenly the pvr powers off and everything goes black. Only way to get it back is to do a hard reset by holding down the power button on the pvr and waiting for it to cycle. What is going on and what is the fix??? Other regular hd box and tv are fine.

Community Power User
Community Power User
@rickyjen does this happen watching just tv as well?

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Rickjen27
Neighbour

Seems to only happen when watching Netflix....may be a Netflix issue with the 4k?

Community Power User
Community Power User
@Rickjen27 try a power cycle. Restart via the menu or unplug it an plug it back in.. See what happens. No reports of Netflix issues on the 4k receivers.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Matt4
Friendly Neighbour

My new 4k PVR shuts down on its own only while watching Netflix. Been going on for 3 months now. It shuts down then initializes. Sometimes it happens many times in a row. Only happens with Netflix and usually between 9:00 and 10:30 pm. Everything else is OK. 

Matt4
Friendly Neighbour

My fairly new 4K PVR shuts down by itself while watching Netflix. Been going on for several months now. Only happens with Netflix. Everything else is OK. It then initializes automatically. Usually happens at 9:00 to 10:30 pm.  Sometimes shuts down to or three time in a row. Other nights its OK. 

Community Power User
Community Power User

Please post only once on an issue. Multiple cut and paste comments and questions are unnecessary.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Most Helpful
TheWizard
Connector

I suggest reaching out to tech support, they can look into the health of your pvr to see if maybe its defective or something else is going on. At worst they can dispatch a technician to either fix the issue or replace the box. Worth a shot if it is persistant. 

Matt4
Friendly Neighbour

I have had many technicians look at the problem. Non can figure it out. I would like to know if others have had the same problem. When I start Netflix via my TV - no problem. Only when I start Netflix via 422. 

Matt4
Friendly Neighbour

Modem and 4K PVR have both been replaced twice. Cables have all been replaced. Now running with UPS to see if problem is power. Still no resolution after 3 months since I had 4K installed.

kingsley
Resident

Just got my 4K PVR last week. This morning watching Global News it shut off twice in less than 1 hour. Had to reboot it. Shut down again 20 minutes later while watching a show on my PVR. It's now happened 4 times in 1.5 hours and I have not had Netflix on at all.

bigscreenbob
Connector

My 4K wireless boxes do the exact same thing. They seem to work good during the day but at nite after 30-45 minutes watching Netflix the terminal reboots itself. Telus can’t figure it out. I puzzled. Are u still having same issue?

Rickjen27
Neighbour
We gave ours back....too many issues and TELUS couldn’t resolve.

Sent from my iPad
Matt4
Friendly Neighbour
A couple of months ago I went back to an older version of the PVR. It's a bit slower but I don't have the problem anymore. Waiting for the new PVR to actually work so I can upgrade.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab® S

-------- Original message --------
Matt4
Friendly Neighbour
That's what I did. Waiting for a working faster PVR.

bigscreenbob
Connector

My actual wired 4k pvr is no problem. Netflix works like a charm . Its the wireless 4k non pvr terminals giving my my issue.

Matt4
Friendly Neighbour

My problem was the PVR and Netflix only.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

bigscreenbob
Connector

@bigscreenbob wrote:

My actual wired 4k pvr is no problem. Netflix works like a charm . Its the wireless 4k non pvr terminals giving my my issue.

Update- Telus tech switched out my model#UIW4001 with a model #VIP5602W in my living room. We will see what happens, last nite watched a 2 hour movie on netflix with no problems or rebooting of terminal. Fingers crossed!!

Rachelk
Connector
Yes rite now its a pain when u pay so much 5 house all with having 4 boxes hope i can get it solved
Matt4
Friendly Neighbour
I converted back to an older version of the PVR. Works OK but it is slower.

-------- Original message --------