4k compatible HD Boxes and list of telus equipment

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Ambassador

Will telus this year or next bring to us the next generation 4k compatible PVR's and Set top boxes?

is there a link to all of telus's equipment in a list?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they make statements like "4K is t least 6 years away"! I just talked to our Telus rep yesterday and was told 4K boxes are coming  Sept this year! Rogers already has 4K boxes in Ontario and Bell Fibe has 4K as well right now. Blue Jays games and Maple leafs games are already slated. If its already starting down east, why do people think we are 6 years away for Alberta? And Netflix has about 30-40 shows in 4K right now if you have the $12 subscription. There will always be people who would still like to watch channel 3 through a coax cable because they are so cheap. Others who actually enjoy TV and home entertainment will pay the money because they think its worth it. Also, People who cant see the difference in 4K (even when the TV is upconverting 1080P to 4K) maybe need to invest in a new pair of glasses first. Then come and see the TV's!

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
The only answer is NO. 4K/UHD is only being pushed hard by TV manufacturers to sell TVs.

• None of the channels are broadcasting in 4K. Most aren't even broadcasting in 1080p still. Some are still broadcasting 480p.
  • Extremely little content exists in 4K to justify the switch to any company.
  • The global infrastructure does not exist for 4K yet and will take a very long time before it is.
  • 4K will require a massive amount of bandwidth. A complete overhaul and rebuild of the fiber optic system would be required before 4K would ever be considered.
  • And lastly, who do you think will pay for the massive network upgrades needed to get 4K to the majority of Optik subscribers?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

4K is like the big 3D push a while back. We all know what happened to those 3D tv's...

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Rockstar

Well I sure can tell the difference on my Netflix on my 4k tv or my ultra HD tv to my 1080p tv because Netflix is 4k or ultra HD,so you can say its way in the future but there's a big diff on Netflix..iv watched (underworld)and( Pacific rim) side by side on my 4k Tv and my 1080p and there was a huge difference in picture quality..Its just like everyone said about 1080p and now you cant find a 720p tv unless you go to Walmart.And I do have the internet power to run 2 TV's on ultra HD.I think if you  want to pay for it they should provide it like Xfinity does in the states,the people on telus 50 or telus 100 can afford it so let the person pick what they want just like Netflix..It just depends on how much you want to spend,I would be willing to pay a extra 50 to 75$ more for ultra HD services..And for 3d, I just rented transformers 3d on optic to watch with my son tonight,so some people still do watch and use the 3d TVs,just because you don't have one does mean other people that have them don't use them.

Highlighted
Advisor

It's too early for 4k. Heck, TELUS doesn't even offer 1080p out of the current STB. I don't think the network is ready for 4k. You will have wait a little longer

Highlighted
Rockstar

Ya,I don't think the U.S.A even offer's it yet,Roku 4 will stream 4k..My one samsung blueray player f7500 upscales to 4k quality..And my optic box let's you choose 1080p,I think it's just for vod..

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will be just for the 3 shows on VOD for Comcast. I doubt the American networks will be broadcasting in 4K any time soon.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

They barely do 1080P let alone 4k..

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Rockstar

Ya,Xfinity offer's NBC and the USA network on VOD and you have to use a Samsung TV from what I have read...

Highlighted
Ambassador

thanks for all the info, what a list for all there equipment? πŸ˜ƒ 

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Their equipment hasn't been released yet. The Samsung TVs will have a VOD app and there are only 3 shows they currently plan to release on VOD only as 4K.

Highlighted
Rockstar

For 4k or ultra HD Netflix you need a minimum 15mbps of internet power to stream in full 4k, so you need at least internet 50 and a download speed to your tv or blueray player of a minimum 20mbps..

Highlighted
Ambassador

o, ok, sweet, is that for one tv?

Highlighted
Ambassador

and will there ever be a list of all telus's equipment?

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Don't worry about Telus and 4k equipment it will come out in do time. Just don't expect it to be mainstream or the next big thing.

Highlighted
Rockstar

4k takes 15 to 25mbps to stream full ultra HD,so you better have a good internet plan,I live in Alberta and they don't charge for going over my 500GB in my area but I burn through that in 12 to 15 days using ultra HD..!!!

Highlighted
Ambassador

o, cool, i am think to move to their in the next couple of year when i get a full-time job before that i want to do a telecom course.

Where part of alberta do you live? πŸ˜ƒ 

Highlighted
Rockstar

Highlighted
Ambassador

what?

Highlighted
Ambassador

rayrayj: May I ask where in Alberta?  There are so many threads going all around in the forums about Telus changing that policy as of this month/next month.  Just wondering how you are exempt. Tell us only if you can without jeopardizing anything.

Highlighted
Rockstar

I live outside of Edmonton and I am over my cap by 45GB already and have been sitting on the couch all day watching the Netflix series The fall and rectify in ultra HD and telus said I would get a email when they start charging,no email yet and I think I still have 5 or six days left till new billing cycle.. I talked to them last week and they said maybe late spring or summer but I shouldn't worry because I have telus 100 and every channel optic offer on my 5 receivers,but now you have me worried so I am gonna call them to make sure and I will fill you in for sure that I am not being charged..

Highlighted
Rockstar

Nope,no charge till late spring early summer before they start charging and since I have all 4 of the services,5 receivers,3 cell phones,home phone and the max on optic I shouldn't get charged, but for people that don't have the 4pack it will cost $15 to have unlimited Internet... I don't no if that goes for everyone but I would think it does..

Highlighted
Resident

I had a Telus Sales Rep from the "Fibre to the Home Sales Team" come around just now, to let me know they just finished (or are nearly finished) with the Fibre upgrade in my area and to give me some info on the new connection speed options, as well as the new equipment that would be installed to replace my DVR/STB's if I switched.  He mentioned specifically that the new DVR/STB's are 4K (I'm guessing he just meant they're 4K ready)

I would love to have my live TV broadcasts in 1080P, and that hasn't happened yet as far as I'm aware, so I'm guessing when they refer to 4K it would be future-proof for when they eventually get On-Demand titles that were produced in 4K, as I imagine we're a long ways away from having 4K broadcasts.

Anyone else had conversations with folks at Telus about switching to the Fibre option, and gain any insight about the reason or intention for including 4K capabilities in the new hardware? It looks like much of NW Calgary has Fibre available already.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

I've never heard of the new boxes having the capability of even having support for 4K.

The Cisco ISB7050 has hit end of life and is being replaced with a newer version but the new model isn't even listed on Cisco's website so I can't find anywhere if it even supports 4K though I am extremely doubtful it has the ability to do so.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

New boxes don't support 4k not even sure why the rep would mention this. 1080p let alone 4k is a LONG ways away. Especially 4K on IPTV.

The latest boxes they issue just had a updated chipset and more RAM added. That's it.

Highlighted
Most Helpful
Resident

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they make statements like "4K is t least 6 years away"! I just talked to our Telus rep yesterday and was told 4K boxes are coming  Sept this year! Rogers already has 4K boxes in Ontario and Bell Fibe has 4K as well right now. Blue Jays games and Maple leafs games are already slated. If its already starting down east, why do people think we are 6 years away for Alberta? And Netflix has about 30-40 shows in 4K right now if you have the $12 subscription. There will always be people who would still like to watch channel 3 through a coax cable because they are so cheap. Others who actually enjoy TV and home entertainment will pay the money because they think its worth it. Also, People who cant see the difference in 4K (even when the TV is upconverting 1080P to 4K) maybe need to invest in a new pair of glasses first. Then come and see the TV's!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Rockstar
I just got the newest PVR,IPV6015 and it is not 4k,it's faster than my old ISB7150,still has 200HD of storage and 496 of SD storage,I don't see anything different on it other than it is way smaller and maybe the picture is better,not sure.
Highlighted
Rockstar
And my Installer had no clue of when 4k recievers would be put out,and he also said that they would not have a pvr,I am on fiber 150mbps and have every channel Telus offers and he said I would be one of the first to get one(no pvr I will pass).You need High speed 100plus to even be considered for the recievers or you will have to buy them outright..
Highlighted
Ambassador

September of 2016, just in time for the 2016-17 NHL season and as the MLB season goes down. I wonder when Telus will begin rolling out TELUS 4K commercials. As of right now, Rogers & Bell Fibe customers can only get their 4k boxes from a professional installation. 4k boxes are not sold in stores. I assume the same will happen with Telus & Shaw in the beginning since only the early adopters will go to 4k.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
Only a few channels are testing 4K. The infrastructure is still a long ways away to support everyone.

It will be much like when HD was rolling out a channel here and there. Most stations are only broadcasting in 720p, 1080i.

Purchasing 4K camera etc is an astronomical price so don't expect many 4K channels anytime soon. Some sports games is about all you will see of 4K for a while and Netflix, YouTube that will gobble your data like no tomorrow.