4k compatible HD Boxes and list of telus equipment

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

cafekief
Ambassador

ill chat with telus on-line tomorrow morning, ill see but i trust you! πŸ˜‰

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Who said anything about not getting 4k boxs,I said it would be later summer for the 4k boxs,they are coming,telus has to keep up to bell and rogers,techs no **bleep**, you need to talk to higher than a tech which I did and they are coming..Sooner than later.
rayrayjj
Rockstar
Doesn't mean all channels are gonna be 4k,sports will though and that's all I care about.
Symtex
Advisor

Don't waste your time asking rep about the 4k box. Until it's ready for release, employees who runs trials for TELUS are under heavy NDA. The box exist. It's not ready for primetime.  Like any new product TELUS launches, you can bet they will start with employees, friendlies and than unofficial soft launch. You can also make the assumption, they will start with gpon customer first before attempting 4k on copper.

Exhile
Ambassador

Rogers have one channel dedicated to 4k which is being broadcast by both TSN & Sportsnet. Channel 999 and for Bell Fibe it is channel 1399.  Looks like all TV content providers will have to introduce a new channel lineup to accommodate the multiple sports channels available. For example, TSN 1-5 will have a SD channel, a HD channel and a 4k channel. All of them delivering content at different bit rates. 

rayrayjj
Rockstar
It's gonna be the people with telus 100 or 150 that are gonna pay the extra money for 4k box's not the telus 25Mbps I don't think they will even offer the box's to the lower packages,It's not gonna be free,its gonna cost more for them,how many people have uhd-(4k ) tv's even.I can't wait for them,I just hope they have a PVR in them.
WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will be all about the bandwidth. Fibre will be the preferred method for 4K.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
rayrayjj
Rockstar
I guess I'm lucky because I have 150 and fiber.So there no problem,i've talk to my Installer and he said there will be no probLen with the people that have high tv packages and high internet packages.
Wondah
Resident
Wrong. You are an idiot. Netflix has a 4K section, most sporting events and games are filmed in 4K. Countless movies have been filmed in 4K and are being converted over. New tv shows and films are being filmed in 4K. Rogers and bell both have 4K receivers. But you are an expert right? That's why the fiber optic network would need an overhaul? You mean the network that pushes massive amounts of data across the oceans and around our country, that they don't even know the top speed for because it is faster than thy could have ever imagined.

Also to answer your question, who will pay for this infrastructure? Oh boy. Dumb question. You will pay for it. With your monthly bill. I mean if you didn't pay them than how are they feeding optics into newly built neighbourhoods every day.

Do some research before you open your dumb mouth.
rayrayjj
Rockstar
Hey you idoit,Rogers and bell are not wireless box's so you need at least 50 to 100mbps for 4k that's why telus is behind the ball because they have to make a box that can stream 4k at a lower package,but most people that want 4k will be on a high internet package anyhow. Most people don't even no what 4k/UHD is.So don't be a smart A S S,and netflix takes 25mbps for 4k,and ya most sports are 4k now.
vishwa
Ambassador

The 4K boxes may be introduced just before the Rio summer Olympics.  That was the feeling I got talking to someone at Telus.  Looking forward to it.

rayrayjj
Rockstar
So they are coming soonπŸ˜€
Exhile
Ambassador

If 4k boxes are coming, they would have to be offered at the same time as Shaw's roll out of 4k. Just as Bell Fibe 4k came out at the same time as Rogers 4k. I'd doubt Telus would start offering before the 2016 Olympics begin. It's more likely to be a pre NHL season start this September.

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

I wouldn't expect them for a year or two. The connection speeds out there needed for 4K just aren't sufficient yet to a large enough portion of the userbase to make it profitable. When fiber finally reaches a sizeable portion of the userbase, and Telus is able to crank up the speed, then, I'd suspect 4K will come.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. πŸ™‚
broadcastguy
Coach

I, too, heard that they would be out prior to the Olympics for fibre customers. Also, TELUS is producing VOD content in 4K already and down-converting it to 1080p for the current hardware, so this is happening sooner than later.

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Well I guess the one's with fiber and 100 to 150MBPS will be able to get the 4K receiver's is what I was told and it will be no later than late summer or early fall.Just talked to a Telus rep to get my discount renewed and he had no idea about 4k boxes so I'm still not sure because one person says yes and the next doesn't noπŸ˜–,I hope it's sooner than laterπŸ‘πŸ‘ŒπŸ‘Come on Telus and beat Shaw to it..
broadcastguy
Coach

I've been told by a TELUS representative that the 4K PVR will be released on June 29th. A 4K stream will use 22 Mbps and HD streams will use 6 Mbps with a total allotment of 28 Mbps.  So it sound like you can watch any combination of HD/SD/4K as long as it is within 28 Mbps. I'm assuming this is until the majority of users are on fibre and then these rules can be relaxed. I guess it is indeed coming before the olympics!!

vishwa
Ambassador

Thanks for that info.  That corroborates what I heard as well.  I didn't know about the actual bandwidth requirements and it is good to know that the people on copper line(like me) can enjoy it as well.  For the most part, I think there will be one channel and I don't mind sacrificing a bit of internet speed while watching 4K.  At least some of the summer olympics games would be worth watching at 4K.  Telus must have been working hard behind the scenes and their NDA seems to have held really well.  Thanks for the update.

broadcastguy
Coach

Here's hoping the Olympics stuff comes in the form of a dedicated channel, as I doubt CBC will be broadcasting anything in 4K. Maybe TSN/SN 4K will have some stuff - they usually help each other out during the Olympics.

broadcastguy
Coach

Fibre customers are allowed 60 Mbps, so any combination of 4K/HD/SD streams up to 60 Mbps. The issue I have is that the extra TV boxes need to be wireless, connected through an access point.  Lame.  I'm hoping this is misinformation as I'd much prefer they are connected via ethernet.

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Just spoke a a really experienced rep and she told me that the 4 k Pvr will be out in the next 7 to 10 days and there is no time line on the normal receiver's,if there is gonna be a update or will be new one's and for the 4k you need internet 50 and up on fiber to get them and the one's with 100 and up will be the first to get 4k.
Exhile
Ambassador

Well June 29th has come and pass with no 4k announcement. No 2016 Olympics in UHD I suppose.

Symtex
Advisor

It's not advertise front page. It's a soft launch. You can call and order one today if you like.

http://www.telus.com/en/bc/tv/new/optik-4k

Exhile
Ambassador

Boy, am I mistaken. Gotta give it to Telus, you're da man!

vishwa
Ambassador

Telus really kept it under wrap.  It is also released sooner than most people predicted.  This way, they can even push a software update before the Olympics if it is needed.  But, while it is new here a version of this box has been in use by Bell and most of the obvious software problems must be solved on release here.

I have it scheduled for tomorrow and will report back here after the install.  Can't wait.  Thanks to Symtex or else I would have waited a bit longer to call.

Exhile
Ambassador

Not to disappoint but the 2016 Olympics won't be broadcast in 4k.

http://whatsyourtech.ca/2016/04/17/4k-broadcasts-take-a-hit-from-sporting-woes/

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Well I can't wait to get my telus 4k Pvr on the 4th,i don't care about the Olympics,i care about baseball,hockey and basketball and auto racing.I am very glad they beat Shaw to it..Thank you telus for looking out for your customers best interests,good on telusπŸ˜ƒ
broadcastguy
Coach

CBC, TSN, or SN may not be broadcasting the Olympics in 4K on their channels, but there will be a dedicated channel(s) on Optik 4K to showcase the events that are being produced in 4K. I believe the opening/closing ceremonies and some of the more popular events will actually be shot in 8K and down-converted by providers such as TELUS, and broadcasters such as NBC. I'm assuming the channels will carry an international feed without Canadian commentators.

rayrayjj
Rockstar
Wow,thats great news for us on telus,do you no what make and or model the Pvr will be?
vishwa
Ambassador

Just an update that I got the 4K PVR installed. It took about 20 min for a series of updates but everything went well. You have the option of 2160p-60Hz(recommended) and 2160p-24Hz. The monitor I tested it on would only work at 60Hz with the displayport connection. On HDMI it works at 30 or 24Hz. But the demo channel picture looked as it should. Of course it has all other lower resolutions.

Speed wise it is at least as fast as the IPV 6015 and may be a bit faster--too close to call unless you have them side by side. Has 1 TB hard disk and shows 404 hrs of HD recording space when installed. As I am on a bonded service with limited headroom, when I watch a 4K channel my internet speed does drop but I knew this and am willing to accept it to have 4K technology. People who have 50Mbps on a single line may not have this problem if they bond two lines. My two lines sync at about 63Mbps--used to be around 67-68 but of late has dropped somewhat.
Overall it was a very painless experience. There was no surprise of any kind and it was the first 4K install for the Telus technician as well. He was pleased that everything went well. Nice to have the cutting edge tech! One additional observation is that the PVR box gets quite hot.  With a point and shoot digital thermometer I measure 52-54 on the top center part(must be just above the graphics chip).  The sides were around 40-42 C.