cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4k compatible HD Boxes and list of telus equipment

cafekief
Ambassador

Will telus this year or next bring to us the next generation 4k compatible PVR's and Set top boxes?

is there a link to all of telus's equipment in a list?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they make statements like "4K is t least 6 years away"! I just talked to our Telus rep yesterday and was told 4K boxes are coming  Sept this year! Rogers already has 4K boxes in Ontario and Bell Fibe has 4K as well right now. Blue Jays games and Maple leafs games are already slated. If its already starting down east, why do people think we are 6 years away for Alberta? And Netflix has about 30-40 shows in 4K right now if you have the $12 subscription. There will always be people who would still like to watch channel 3 through a coax cable because they are so cheap. Others who actually enjoy TV and home entertainment will pay the money because they think its worth it. Also, People who cant see the difference in 4K (even when the TV is upconverting 1080P to 4K) maybe need to invest in a new pair of glasses first. Then come and see the TV's!

View solution in original post

156 REPLIES 156

cafekief
Ambassador

and will there ever be a list of all telus's equipment?

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Don't worry about Telus and 4k equipment it will come out in do time. Just don't expect it to be mainstream or the next big thing.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

I really wish people would get their facts straight before they make statements like "4K is t least 6 years away"! I just talked to our Telus rep yesterday and was told 4K boxes are coming  Sept this year! Rogers already has 4K boxes in Ontario and Bell Fibe has 4K as well right now. Blue Jays games and Maple leafs games are already slated. If its already starting down east, why do people think we are 6 years away for Alberta? And Netflix has about 30-40 shows in 4K right now if you have the $12 subscription. There will always be people who would still like to watch channel 3 through a coax cable because they are so cheap. Others who actually enjoy TV and home entertainment will pay the money because they think its worth it. Also, People who cant see the difference in 4K (even when the TV is upconverting 1080P to 4K) maybe need to invest in a new pair of glasses first. Then come and see the TV's!

View solution in original post

I just got the newest PVR,IPV6015 and it is not 4k,it's faster than my old ISB7150,still has 200HD of storage and 496 of SD storage,I don't see anything different on it other than it is way smaller and maybe the picture is better,not sure.

And my Installer had no clue of when 4k recievers would be put out,and he also said that they would not have a pvr,I am on fiber 150mbps and have every channel Telus offers and he said I would be one of the first to get one(no pvr I will pass).You need High speed 100plus to even be considered for the recievers or you will have to buy them outright..

September of 2016, just in time for the 2016-17 NHL season and as the MLB season goes down. I wonder when Telus will begin rolling out TELUS 4K commercials. As of right now, Rogers & Bell Fibe customers can only get their 4k boxes from a professional installation. 4k boxes are not sold in stores. I assume the same will happen with Telus & Shaw in the beginning since only the early adopters will go to 4k.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User
Only a few channels are testing 4K. The infrastructure is still a long ways away to support everyone.

It will be much like when HD was rolling out a channel here and there. Most stations are only broadcasting in 720p, 1080i.

Purchasing 4K camera etc is an astronomical price so don't expect many 4K channels anytime soon. Some sports games is about all you will see of 4K for a while and Netflix, YouTube that will gobble your data like no tomorrow.

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.

ill chat with telus on-line tomorrow morning, ill see but i trust you! 😉

Who said anything about not getting 4k boxs,I said it would be later summer for the 4k boxs,they are coming,telus has to keep up to bell and rogers,techs no **bleep**, you need to talk to higher than a tech which I did and they are coming..Sooner than later.

Doesn't mean all channels are gonna be 4k,sports will though and that's all I care about.

Rogers have one channel dedicated to 4k which is being broadcast by both TSN & Sportsnet. Channel 999 and for Bell Fibe it is channel 1399.  Looks like all TV content providers will have to introduce a new channel lineup to accommodate the multiple sports channels available. For example, TSN 1-5 will have a SD channel, a HD channel and a 4k channel. All of them delivering content at different bit rates. 

It's gonna be the people with telus 100 or 150 that are gonna pay the extra money for 4k box's not the telus 25Mbps I don't think they will even offer the box's to the lower packages,It's not gonna be free,its gonna cost more for them,how many people have uhd-(4k ) tv's even.I can't wait for them,I just hope they have a PVR in them.

WestCoasterBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It will be all about the bandwidth. Fibre will be the preferred method for 4K.

I guess I'm lucky because I have 150 and fiber.So there no problem,i've talk to my Installer and he said there will be no probLen with the people that have high tv packages and high internet packages.

Don't waste your time asking rep about the 4k box. Until it's ready for release, employees who runs trials for TELUS are under heavy NDA. The box exist. It's not ready for primetime.  Like any new product TELUS launches, you can bet they will start with employees, friendlies and than unofficial soft launch. You can also make the assumption, they will start with gpon customer first before attempting 4k on copper.

I wish I had money to invest in a pvr or tv programs

rayrayjj
Rockstar

4k takes 15 to 25mbps to stream full ultra HD,so you better have a good internet plan,I live in Alberta and they don't charge for going over my 500GB in my area but I burn through that in 12 to 15 days using ultra HD..!!!

cafekief
Ambassador

o, cool, i am think to move to their in the next couple of year when i get a full-time job before that i want to do a telecom course.

Where part of alberta do you live? 😃 

rayrayjj
Rockstar

cafekief
Ambassador

what?

vishwa
Leader

rayrayj: May I ask where in Alberta?  There are so many threads going all around in the forums about Telus changing that policy as of this month/next month.  Just wondering how you are exempt. Tell us only if you can without jeopardizing anything.