4k boxes and ethernet out

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Connector
Do the Arris 4k boxes have a ethernet jack to allow for an ethernet out connection?

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Since both the Cisco device and the Arris device have only one Ethernet port, I see no way to add other Ethernet devices to that location without a switch.
NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

Ethernet is bi-directional.

If you want to expand your network from the location of the Arris device, simply place an Ethernet switch between it and the rest of your network.

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Connector
Can I do this without a switch? My current setup is wall --> CIS box --> Android box.
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

What is CIS box?

What is Android Box?

NFtoBC
Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User
@NFtoBC CIS 330/430

Find a post useful, please click on "Like" to give the author recognition or mark as an accepted solution.
Highlighted
Most Helpful
Community Power User
Community Power User
Since both the Cisco device and the Arris device have only one Ethernet port, I see no way to add other Ethernet devices to that location without a switch.
NFtoBC

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Coach

@NFtoBC wrote:

Also note that your switch needs to support IGMP snooping for TV to work correctly as it uses Multicast to send the IPTV signals.  Not a lot of home networking equipment will support that, so you'd likely need a managed business class switch.

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

A decent ethernet switch will work. Don't need to spend a fortune on a switch that'll be overkill. I've got a Zyxel switch in my setup though a Netgear gigabit one would work fine also. 

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂