cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4 WiFi Booster setup

Exhile
Ambassador

Does anyone have 4 WiFi boosters setup with their T3200M? Do the 2 sets of WiFi Boosters have to have an Ethernet connection for all 4 WiFi Boosters to work or can you just have 1 WiFi Booster connected and have the remaining 3 extend the WiFi range with just the 1 connected to the T3200M? I'm asking this question because I am considering extending the range of my home WiFi to the garage.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi,
Sorry about the broken link. It will get fixed shortly. You are correct. You only need one Booster connected to your 3200. The other 3 can be wireless connections. 

To get detailed instructions on the Expansion packs, simply scroll down on the page you were on here:

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Exhile
Ambassador

Okay, I found a link to setup 3 or more WiFi Boosters https://www.telus.com/en/bc/support/article/telus-boost-wifi-quick-start-guide#start but the Google Docs link does not permit me to open the file.

Capture.JPG

I get redirected to this page.

Capture1.JPG

Hi,
Sorry about the broken link. It will get fixed shortly. You are correct. You only need one Booster connected to your 3200. The other 3 can be wireless connections. 

To get detailed instructions on the Expansion packs, simply scroll down on the page you were on here:

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

It should be the same steps as adding Access Point #2.  Let's see what the Telus guys say about the Google Docs issue - I'm guessing the webpage was released before the documentation was released to a static page!

@Exhile Looking in the My WiFi App, it appears the first two devices come linked. You need to take additional steps with further devices to initially sync to the first Boost device, and only then can you unplug it, move it and add it to the mesh. Since I don't have a third unit to test, it looks like you can be the canary, and report back with your findings. It seems pretty clear that further devices are possible to add to the wireless mesh. I am uncertain if the additional units work only when wirelessly connected to the first device, or if you can hop through a linear series of devices.

Up to five devices can be placed in a dwelling (see video in the link).

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Kudo"

@NFtoBC wrote:

It should be the same steps as adding Access Point #2.  Let's see what the Telus guys say about the Google Docs issue - I'm guessing the webpage was released before the documentation was released to a static page!

@ExhileYou need to take additional steps with further devices to initially sync to the first Boost device, and only then can you unplug it, move it and add it to the mesh. Since I don't have a third unit to test, it looks like you can be the canary, and report back with your findings. It seems pretty clear that further devices are possible to add to the wireless mesh. I am uncertain if the additional units work only when wirelessly connected to the first device, or if you can hop through a linear series of devices.

I would assume that Telus has tested the mesh network of 5 WiFi Boosters already or else Telus wouldn't have advertised it. A mesh network of 5 WiFi Boosters should be documented already without customers needing to go through trial and error themselves. It should be simple and explanatory for customers just like setting up the Starter Pack. I shouldn't have to be the guinea pig (canary) to see this through.

I also don't understand how a customer is supposed to get the "5th" booster if the Starter & Expansion pack come in pairs.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Exhile wrote:

I also don't understand how a customer is supposed to get the "5th" booster if the Starter & Expansion pack come in pairs.

They don't. Expansion packs come with single devices, as described on the page I linked. The most recent My Wifi app describes the steps to set things up and add Expansion packs.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

@Exhile wrote:

They don't. Expansion packs come with single devices, as described on the page I linked. The most recent My Wifi app describes the steps to set things up and add Expansion packs.

Am I reading this right? 1 WiFi Booster in an Expansion Pack costs $120?

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Exhile wrote: 

Am I reading this right? 1 WiFi Booster in an Expansion Pack costs $120?

Seems competitive with similar products.  Far cheaper than the Google Wi-Fi Mesh. Telus earlier indicated the Starter pack was offered at a special price. They appear to have removed that reference from their website. It remains a dead simple device to set up for even the  technophobes amongst us.

NFtoBC

@NFtoBC wrote:

Seems competitive with similar products.  Far cheaper than the Google Wi-Fi Mesh. Telus earlier indicated the Starter pack was offered at a special price. They appear to have removed that reference from their website. It remains a dead simple device to set up for event the  technophobes amongst us.

I was looking at Bell's website and they have their mesh for rental.

Capture.JPG

xl
CPU Alum
CPU Alum

Google Home mesh has 3 units that I plugged into the T3200m. 

@xl wrote:

Google Home mesh has 3 units that I plugged into the T3200m. 

Does the T3200M display the mesh in the Home Network box when you go to the router URL? How does the software in the mesh update itself? Is their an iOS/Android app similar to the Telus My WiFi app? Sorry for the questions but I'm interested to know how other mesh networks work with the T3200M.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

If I recall, the Google mesh creates a new, separated network, whereas the Telus Boost devices add to your current network, albeit with a different SSID.

NFtoBC