30% Decrease in DL & UL Speeds on Fibre since late Nov. 2017

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Focus
Connector

I have had TELUS Fibre internet for just over 2 years. Year 1 had me on the 100x20 package as that was all that was available, but Year 2 and now I have been on 150x150.

I am also part of the Sam Knows & the CRTC Broadband Measurement Project and it would appear my speeds have fallen an average of 30% in the past 3 weeks. My bill certainly hasn't dropped 30% either. 

I have analyzed nearly everything on my end, restarted my wifi router, made sure it's on the least congested 5GHz channel, do NOT use 2.4GHz, and looked at my SamKnows analysis, whose "box" is plugged directly into the TELUS Modem via ethernet for the readings. 

Can anyone at TELUS explain this sudden decrease? I am located in the South Surrey (Morgan Heights) area as well where a very large fibre buildout has taken place over the last year.

download chart.png

upload chart.png

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

Troubleshooting-wise they'll look at the speed test result from a hardwired connection. Now aside from the Sam Knows box, what are the results if you went and did a speedtest somewhere else, over ethernet, like Telus's speed test page? Is your router directly connected to the Telus box or is it running through the Sam Knows box? If the latter, what happens if you disconnected Sam Knows and connected directly to the ONT? Also have you called Telus in the last three weeks to have them check their end?

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂
Focus
Connector

Based on my speed tests over the last few weeks using fast.com, various local servers on speedtest.net, the "TELUS Speedtest" site, and the data from theSam Knows, everything is within 5~Mbps of the Sam Knows data, and very consistent with a 30% drop in advertised speed. 

I was consistently at 120x120 before this and now 80-90x80-90.

My Sam Knows box is hooked up directly to the TELUS router as per the Sam Knows instructions. Everything has stayed the same. I'm puzzled and will be giving TELUS a phone call about this. I just wanted to throw it out to the community to see if anyone else has noticed this reduction in speed. 

JTL
Advocate

Have you tried a computer connected directly to the ONT?

Focus
Connector

That will be my next option connecting directly to the ONT & a full power cycle on the unit.

I want to try everything before calling in. Thanks for your help everyone. 

Focus
Connector

Looks like a power cycle of all my equipment: ONT (optical network terminal), modem, router solved a portion of this. My speeds have risen from 85~/85~ to 119/119 but still no where near the 150/150 I am paying for.

An hour+ with tech support, rebooting, and reconfiguring all my TELUS equipment back to "default" did nothing either to get it back to 150/150 from 119/119. A tech has been dispatched for Monday and "Tier 3" support is monitoring this. The online rep said there is a new "All-in-one" Fibre modem+router available? Anyone know about this? Or did I misunderstand. 

My current setup is ONT (series B) > Actiontec (modem/router 2.4Ghz) > Extender (5Ghz)

Also as the advice from a member on DSLreports, my B series ONT, and has the LAN 1 light blinking red/orange showing that I am connected to gigabit ethernet as well. I'm out of ideas now. 

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

To my knowledge the most recent Telus modem Device is the Actiontec T3200M. That is the one being installed in my area currently.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Focus
Connector

I hope the tech coming tomorrow has that Actiontec T3200M available and a few other tricks up their sleeve to at least achieve the 150/150 I'm paying for. 

Thanks everyone for your help in this matter. 

Focus
Connector

I am beginning to think I am on the older "100 profile". I had that package previously, and now come to think of it, also still receive emails that I have used up my monthly data, despite checking my online usage and being well under the 1TB allotted in the 150 package but over 500GB.

Best way to get my "profile" changed? Contact CS and move it on up? I still have a tech coming to my condo today to investigate.

NFtoBC
Community Power User
Community Power User

Talk to the Tech when he or she arrives. If you have copies of the overage notices you have received, it would likely help.

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Focus
Connector

Solved.

If anyone else experiences this, it is a result of being upgraded to a newer package 150/150 from an older package 100/20 and having the old "profile" still in place. Very helpful tech's today, but said it could have been just called instead. No biggie, glad it's solved.