cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2Gbps

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Wow Comcast is offering 2Gbps of internet to match google in Atlanta,I think Comcast is a bully like rogers is here in Canada,I hate bully's!!!!!!

8 REPLIES 8

cafekief
Ambassador

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/04/02/comcast-gigabit-pro/

come on telus, am going to tweet to you guys and if i can facebook you guys, i've had fibre optic lade for almost two years in Surrey, BC and west kelowna is just getting it, why can telus go a bit fast on connecting the system,i would love at least to start off with 100 to 250 MBPS

rayrayjj
Rockstar

@cafekief/your right,I think we are a little behind,I have telus 100 but still wouldn't mind 250mbps @ the right price/I don't no what Comcast is charging for there 2Gbps,I would think it is a lot,but google is charging under 100$ for 1Gbps...

cafekief
Ambassador

ya, 100 is not bad or even $120 for 1GBPS, double that for 2, i would love fast download speeds, i love telus too, good customer care team too. what country or city do you live in? do you know how long it takes to get connected?

Nighthawk
Community Power User
Community Power User

1Gbps is serious overkill. 2Gbps is insanely stupid overkill. You will never find a single server on the internet that can deliver content to you at speeds even remotely close to that. You'll just be paying for available speed without the hope of ever using more than a portion of it. Even 250mbps has that issue.

Also for 2gbps, most people's computers couldn't even handle that kind of data throughput either.

• First of all the network card will be the first bottleneck as the biggest consumer ones are 1gbps (100mbps if you cheaped out on your PC/motherboard or went with a pre-built non-gaming grade PC).
  • 10Gbps NICs (since 2Gbps isn't a thing) are not part of any default PC build currently and will be very expensive if you can even find one.
  • On top of that there are currently no home networking gateways out there that will support that kind of bandwidth and because of that you will be stuck with whatever gateway Comcast (etc) provides, restrictions and all. You will not be able to purchase a third party router faster than 1gbps for some time.
  • Next the hard drive will be the second bottleneck as most PCs won't have high speed hard drives (ie WD Black series, or good quality SSDs). 5400rpm/7200rpm harddrives wouldn't cut it and that's what's in most PCs because they cost less.

Google's able to offer 1Gbps as cheap as they are because they pay for the install themselves and have their own crews and are not in it to make massive profits. They make their money off of data mining everything you do with your connection and online. Comcast and most providers out there are in it for profit so they'll pay a lot more to install and charge a lot more to cover it on top of the real cost of the service. On top of that Comcast is the single most hated company in the entire USA because their service is so horrendously bad. If you want to trade service for speed, let Telus know.

Plus if Telus has to pay to do that kind of network upgrade themselves, I guarantee the price will be extremely high for end users. That's assuming the town/city that fiber is to be installed in has everything in order first. Google has denied upgrading some towns to fiber because of local restrictions. It'll likely be similar in Canada to an extent.

If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like" or mark as an accepted solution if it solves your trouble. 🙂

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Your right,my in-laws can't stand Comcast so they switched to att u-verse and like it but pay out of there ass for it..I think they pay $130 for tv 130 channels,phone and 6mbps internet,plus they have shaw satellite there to..

cafekief
Ambassador

thanks for all the info, i would like kind speed in the next decade or two but why is comcast a hated internet provider company? aren't they the biggest in the US? my mom say i can't an get a US resident citizenship out there because i live in canada! cool!! and thanks for all the info again!! 😃

cafekief
Ambassador

o ya, what about 4k is using 20mbps to stream too, so at least telus and shaw offer more than 120MBPS to like 500?

rayrayjj
Rockstar

Yip,I would pay for 250mbps but I don't see them getting that anytime soon,I am happy with my 100mbps,it's more then enough for my household needs and I love how good telus treats me,I am more then happy with there services,I would love to have starz channel and cinemax but baggers can't be chooser's....