160 metres from CO and still no Fibre in Queens Park New Westminster

This thread's discussion is locked. If it doesn't give you the information you need, head to its forum board for active discussions or to start a new discussion.

Highlighted
Neighbour

I live within 160 metres of a Telus CO in New Westminster.  Half a block from my house, Telus fibre to the home has been available for over a year.  Yet it's still not available on my block.  This, in the second most densely populated area in Metro Vancouver.  When I contact the Philippines to ask why (about once every 3 months) they haven't a clue.

I guess there is a reason why Canadian telecommunications companies have such high profit margins (http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/peter-nowak/telecom-canada_b_2902174.html)

Highlighted
Ambassador

Definitely feel your pain Internet 50 bonded is the best I can get in my New West condo until whenever Fibre rolls out...sent an Email to escalations requesting at least a timeframe but just got a standard copy/paste response. I've already confirmed with a Shaw chat rep Internet 150 is available in our building so the clock is ticking...

Highlighted
Community Power User
Community Power User

@Edjo wrote:

I live within 160 metres of a Telus CO in New Westminster.  Half a block from my house, Telus fibre to the home has been available for over a year.  Yet it's still not available on my block. 

Interesting! New Westminster is not even listed as a Telus Fibre community at the Telus PureFibre site.

Screen Shot 2016-08-19 at 8.45.19 AM.png

NFtoBC
If you find a post useful, please give the author a "Like"
Neighbour
Telus has never been known for its superior customer service
Highlighted
Coach

Hi.

Sorry you seem to have had poor experiences with customer service. In this case, the problem does not entirely rest with TELUS. Having said that, TELUS is a business. There must be a positive cost - benefit outcome to any project.

TELUS, and before them, BCTel have a long and painful relationship history with the City of New Westminster. The city is notoriously reluctant to grant building and utility permits to the company. But they are fickle. Some neighbourhoods have been permitted and others not. TELUS, as a private (not crown) corporation must secure the needed permits and rights-of-way prior to any facility construction. If a municipal authority objects, that's it. Project stopped.

Highlighted
Neighbour
Before you slag the City in their processes, please provide *specifics* regarding current Telus application denials for extending fibre throughout New West.
Highlighted
Neighbour
Before you slag the City in their processes, please provide *specifics* regarding current Telus application denials for extending fibre throughout New West.
Highlighted
Coach

Sadly I am not up on the latest day-to-day. There is so much more on the go than one area. The city, in the 80s, did not permit the introduction of the Service Area Concept, the installation of SAC junction boxes, used everywhere else in BC and Alberta (and the world, frankly) to ease provision and repair of customer loops and to reduce the size and visual impact of aerial cable plant. They then went on to refuse RDACs (Remote Digital Access Cabinets)  thereby forcing HSIA service to be driven from the Central Office. The unfortunate resulting effect limits download speeds as a function of cable mileage. Many apartment buildings have joined the Ethernet To The Suite programme, which allows the installation of a DSLAM (Digital Subscriber Line Access Module) in the building's electrical room, thereby removing the need for municipal permission.

We would love to be able to offer premium, cutting-edge solutions to all our customers. We have no interest in not offering high revenue / high performance service. After all, there is no profit or pride in being sub-standard, is there.