input button on new slimline remote

jbeg
Just Moved In

not sure how this got missed in the upgrade? 

Category:
Comments
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: New Idea
Chadsmith537
Resident

How can Telus 'upgrade' their remote, but remove so many features. Changing inputs, having the aux available to program DVD players. Seems they are going backwards. My old Telus satellite remote could do 3 times as many task. I don't get it. 

Jesscarlet
Just Moved In
It's ridiculous that the solution to the problem of people getting confused with the modes is why there's no input button on the new slimline remotes. Why not just MOVE the button?! In this day and age where we all have a million remotes for everything, I liked that I only had to use one for both of my TV's. But now I have to go back to using 2, because my tv doesn't automatically start on the channel my optik is on. And I can't change it either on the tv itself. Super frustrating if you have children but nowhere to put all of the remotes for each device and game system. I personally loved the original slimline remote. I loved the look of it and the modes were excellent. My husband likes the new layout of the slimline 2, but I don't think it's as nice looking as the first one. Again, it's like it went backwards rather than forwards.
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Jesscarlet Merging your idea with an existing one. 

Status changed to: New Idea
Hinton
Connector
Very surprised and disappointed that there is no Input button on the remote.
trinadesro
Just Moved In

Agreed our samsung smart TV starts on a home screen and we have to click the 'ok' button to maximize the telus input, so now EVERY time we turn on the tv we have to use a second remote. Makes the TV power button entirely pointless. Thanks for reverting us back 15 years :/ I guess we will have to buy our own remote.

AaronQ
Friendly Neighbour

This is VERY annoying.  I'm sure an update to the firmware could simply enable a button like "option" to function as an input button.  This is HUGE deal for a lot of people.  Having extra remotes laying around and needed is a pain, not to mention my youngest now needs help with the TV now when she didn't before (with Shaw).  

I don't expect a new remote, but an update to the existing ones functionality would work just fine!

Community Power User
Community Power User

That begs the question, how do you update the software/firmware on the hundreds of thousands of remotes? There's no data port, and they're not user serviceable. The only way to do it is to replace them entirely, just to get one button/function. Best solution right now would likely be a Logitech Harmony remote.