Use Optik On The Go with a rooted phone

Caboose
Just Moved In

I root my phone and tablet for additional functionality that I need. It'd be nice to be able to use the Optik On The Go with a rooted device. There is no reason at all for the app to do a root check and prevent usage on roooted phones.

Category:
Comments
Jupiter
Just Moved In
My phone is like my shoes. A smartphone is like a shoe. All shoes have a sole, which is the bottom of a shoe, in contact with the ground. Soles can be made from a variety of colours and materials. If I the owner decide to install different shoelaces colour or install a (Orthopedic) shoe insert to cushioning, improved fit, or reduced abrasion to the feet, it shouldn't change anything to the ground, but for the walker, it's all about comfort well-being. Good point! That restriction shouldn't exist. Happy Holidays
ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Under Review
ambert
Connector

Hi @Caboose 

Thank you for sharing this great idea. We will look into this with our product team and let you know if this is feasible. I'll be back in touch once I hear more!

Amber

ambert
Connector

Status changed to: Requires Evaluation
xray
All-Star

The app won't run on my OnePlus One because it detects it as rooted even though it's not. I suspect it's due to the fact that my phone comes with CyanogenMod from the factory.

Community Power User
Community Power User

What irks me is a i have Android tablet not even rooted. Never has been and optik tv on the go won't work. Says it's rooted, there are many models that won't work with it and telus is doing nothing about fixing the issue. I even emailed support and gave them my model, update after update it still doesn't work.

ak77
Just Moved In

Ditto for the Oneplus One.  Optik on the Go detects the device as rooted, even though it isn't, likely because of Cyanogen mod.  I'd love to be able to use the app on my phone.

jsears
Just Moved In

I loved optik until the moment I realized this problem. All of my Android devices are rooted, and I'm very disappointed that telus would bother with such nonsense. I would suggest that making the app useless for users who are advanced enough to root their firmware will only encourage users like us to find ways around the app and use it anyway. Please give us what we pay for, it's a matter of customer satisfaction....Why does telus offer such wonderful technology packaged in a pain-in-the-neck customer experience?

Shawng
Just Moved In

Same with my oneplus one, detects root even though it isn't. Very annoying, deal Breaker, thinking of going back too shaw cable cause of this, we'll see if Telus replies first. 

Dismal
Just Moved In

This needs to be actioned. Just because we demand more of our phones functionality wise shouldn't mean we have to lose the ability to use apps that are included with a service we pay for. I don't understand what the worry is? Having a rooted phone doesn't mean we will be doing anything illegal plus what exactly would we do with a streaming app with a rooted phone that we couldn't with a non rooted phone? Even Netflixs' app works on my rooted phone AND the content is light years better. Might be time to disconnect the cord and go with online streaming services that don't limit you...

xray
All-Star

I just got the Lollipop OTA update on my OnePlus One. Still doesn't work.