Telus using Huawei 5G equipment endangers the Canadian telecommunications infrastructure

Just Moved In

Telus using the Huawei 5G network equipment opens up Canadian telecommunications infrastructure to the Chinese hacking into Canadians' privacy, businesses and governments in order to find any weaknesses that may be taken advantage of by the Chinese government. The Canadian government will be shut out of international intelligence communications from the "four-and-a-half" eyes (Britain deciding to use Huawei 5G network equipment in a limited - 35% manner). Telus corporation opting to use Huawei equipment in spite of NOT consulting its customer base makes me wonder if i really want to continue using the Telus corporation's network, or if I must consider moving to a non-Huawei equipped communications system. There are alternative 5G network systems ie. Nokia, Erikkson, Samsung, etc. that would be safer than going with the Telus 5G Huawei equipped network. It's up to Telus customers whether they will put their faith into the Telus communications 5G advanced network, or switch companies.

Comments
Just Moved In

Telus using the Huawei 5G network equipment opens up Canadian telecommunications infrastructure to the Chinese hacking into Canadians' privacy, businesses and governments in order to find any weaknesses that may be taken advantage of by the Chinese government. The Canadian government will be shut out of international intelligence communications from the "four-and-a-half" eyes (Britain deciding to use Huawei 5G network equipment in a limited - 35% manner). Telus corporation opting to use Huawei equipment in spite of NOT consulting its customer base makes me wonder if i really want to continue using the Telus corporation's network, or if I must consider moving to a non-Huawei equipped communications system. There are alternative 5G network systems ie. Nokia, Erikkson, Samsung, etc. that would be safer than going with the Telus 5G Huawei equipped network. It's up to Telus customers whether they will put their faith into the Telus communications 5G advanced network, or switch companies.

Resident

I and many others will leave telus if they choose to work with Huawei.

It is a shame 

Resident

Telus will lose tons of customers for choosing to work with a company that is a puppet of the Chinese Communist Party,

They are putting all of us customers at risk of having our information stolen and monitored by the CCP.

Telus has many other options but is choosing to endanger us customers. 

what a shame, 

Just Moved In

Australia is currently engaged in a political argument with the UK for their use of Huawei network equipment. Australia and New Zealand, despite the hugely disproportionate trade risk with their biggest partner, China, have banned Huawei's participation.

Trudeau wants a UN position and doesn't want to antagonise any country in that endeavour. So, Trudeau's ambitions leave Canada as the only undecided member of 'Five Eyes'. In addition to the huge trade risk with the US, Canada's telephone and mobile network is integrated with the US. Will Telus' network be compatible with the US in future? Will Canadian mobile service offered by Telus be functional only in Canada? It might be better to look for alternative service with Bell, whiich may utilise Nokia. 

Bell chooses Nokia as 'first' 5G network supplier, awaits Huawei

www.itworldcanada.com › article › bell-chooses-nokia-as-first-5g-net...

Feb 6, 2020 - Carrier says it will deliver 5G service in Canadian urban centres as soon as handsets are available later this year.

Just Moved In

The Canadian military already upstaged Trudeau, demanding a ban on Huawei's participation:

Canada’s military wants Justin Trudeau to ban Huawei Technologies Co. from the nation’s fifth-generation wireless networks, according to the Globe and Mail.

Senior military officials including Canada’s top soldier have told the government they believe allowing the Chinese company a role in 5G would threaten national security, the newspaper reported Monday, citing an unnamed official familiar with the matter.

Stephen Wicary Bloomberg News February 10, 2020 8:18 AM EST

And there doesn't seem to be any advantage in employment of Canadians with Huawei, as with Nokia in developing 5G for Canada.

Nokia Canada to add new Ottawa jobs with up to $52.4 million ...

Jan 25, 2019 - Nokia Canada is looking to bolster its Kanata workforce with fresh government funding aimed at developing new 5G networking technologies.

Telus really should explain the rationale to justify their decision, other than it being the simplest and cheapest alternative to develop 5G fastest. Buyer beware.

Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Closed
Community Manager
Community Manager

Idea has been closed as it doesn't meet the criteria for what makes a good idea. Consider re-framing the idea and re-submitting. 

Just Moved In

Who crashed Telus email last fall? Was it the Chinese? I had no email for almost a month. If Telus goes with Huawei, I will leave and encourage others to do the same.

Community Power User
Community Power User

The email problem had nothing to do with the Chinese. A Dell employee made an error and corrupted the entire server. Please stop race baiting.

Just Moved In
Hello to Whomever Descibed the Huawei 5G equipment installation by Telus as "race-baiting" - No - there is no racial slur intended by my comments as to the possibility of the Chinese government using Huawei equipment as a backdoor to spying upon the Canadian government both federal, provincial and municipal, not to mention personal citizens and businesses. The Canadian Security Agency has given a warning that such is the case for the use of Huawei's 5G equipment and it seems a pity that you would denigrate this conversation with such an characterization. Sincerely - rsun
Community Power User
Community Power User

rsun: The comment was directed at Solomon99. Your concern over Huawei and the ties to the Chinese government are valid.

Just Moved In

I know I will cancel all my Telus accounts and also will encourage all family, friends, twitter followers, facebook friends to do the same. How is asking the question "were the chinese responsible for the service outage" considered Race-baiting? It was a legitimate question. I did not know and had not heard what the reason for the outage was until I read your response.